Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Versa Wing - Flite Test  (Read 2900 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Versa Wing - Flite Test
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:05:30 AM »
I have wanted a cheap wing since I lost the last one, so this is it. This FT Versa can be built as a Puller with the FT power pod, but I want it for a VideoCam, so I am following their conversion to pusher video. I just downloaded the plans and taped the sheets together.
Not too many pieces, but the tricky part is coming up, gluing the wings to form the airfoil, and getting them the same.
More to follow,
Reg
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:47:01 PM by ganguy »
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Versa Wing - Flite Test
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 02:47:40 PM »
That's what it should look like when finished!
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
Should have a lot of fun with that Reg. Looks a lot like the old Zagis we used to play with. Tough old birds that you could beat the sh%$ out of. Used to fly combat with them. Can you imagine with half a dozen all up at once and all looking alike with streamers on the back. Whose is whose. :o
   What's the wingspan??
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:02:46 AM »
Should have a lot of fun with that Reg. Looks a lot like the old Zagis we used to play with. Tough old birds that you could beat the sh%$ out of. Used to fly combat with them. Can you imagine with half a dozen all up at once and all looking alike with streamers on the back. Whose is whose. :o
   What's the wingspan??

Tha last time I was at the K-W Scale event, they put up 22 Strykers for combat. Despite their best efforts, there was not one contact!
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
Hey Gord:
It's 38" WS, and I see that one guy scaled it up 120% then added a midsection. Glen Takahara is building one too. So we might have a starting point for a combat team.
I'm almost finished, just can't close the wings till I get some 9g servos at LE today. It is a fast build. Maybe Rolly will kit this one up too!
Garry:
I remember the combat flight at KRCM warbirds day 2 years ago, nobody even came close. It's a big sky up there, but if we used FPV it could be interesting.
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »
Might have to take a second look at it Reg.  ;D Either that or hotwire some foam wings for it.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 06:36:16 AM »
Nearly done! If I can mount the electronics today, I might get it out to the field tomorrow. Wingtips go on last.
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:26 AM »
Reg I wonder if a trike landing gear would take care of the awkward handlaunching of the wing. Flew well..Another thing you might do is put a dummy canopy on it just above the CG made of a strip of DT foam, to use as a handle for hand launching. Wadya think.?? ;D
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »
Gord;
I was so impressed with how it flew. Thanks for the help. I built it so I could use the little videocam in it, and it seems plenty stable for that, at least when you fly it!

I agree we need to improve the hand launch, but somehow, LG just doesn't seem right, although it would be a good idea with the snow around, keep it from getting wet. I think the dummy canopy would work, or, what about a keel-grip directly below the COG. What do you think of that?

Right now I'm rebuilding the battery box to make it easier to use. Also striping the wing for our poor old eyes! I'm also going to waterproof the paper. With all this, we'll have to test fly her again soon.

I'll get photos to you later this afternoon.

We got started with the airbrush this morning, the Spit is drying now. Patricia has a much steadier hand than me.

Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »
Sounds good Reg. Good thing you've got a good buddy to help you :D
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 07:13:30 AM »
Gord:
Well, here it is, we should be able to tell which way it's going now!

The other two photos are the keel and the fake cockpit ideas for hand launching, not sure which to try, but the keel mount has the advantage of getting the plane up higher early, keeping fingers further from the prop, and giving a bit of tummy protection. And it looks better. What do you think?

I made the battery hatch out of the side of a Fantastic bottle, and it will be held down by a Velcro strap around the battery.

Time to fly again. OOPS - I forgot to mount the videocam!
Reg
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:15:48 AM by ganguy »

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 07:39:22 AM »
Looks great Reg. What about putting the launch tab on both sides and see which one is handiest to use. Then cut the other one off. One of those "hard to tell till you try it" thingies.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 07:42:36 AM »
Good Idea. Now what should I build, SLO MOSHUN? I've got lots of fast stuff.
R

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
If you do the Slomoshun ,I'd make the fuse sides from the same foam the wings are made of. Same with the formers. It would probably end up being lighter and stronger than mine. Maybe doublers on the inside of the nose back to the lower wing mount to strengthen the nose. I imagine you have built a few planes like that already. ;D  On second thought, why not do a build thread on it. I would give a hand when asked and it would help some others that are hesitant about building there own stuff. I know it's a lot more work but wadya  think.??
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:40:59 AM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »
Gord:
I'd better start another thread for it. I'll copy your templates and bring them back. But before I start another project, I've got to fix up a few hanger queens.
Thanks,
Reg