Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Rebuilding the Formosa II  (Read 3908 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Rebuilding the Formosa II
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »
I just didn't have the heart to throw out the pieces, so here I go with GG and hot glue. before crash and after crash photos attached. Note the pilot lost his head.
She will require a paint job but that's what our new airbrush is for. toughest part will be the cowl, can't buy 'em for the Formosa II anymore.
 If you missed the AB seminar at LE, sign up for the next one, it was great!
ganguy, aka Reg
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:03:45 AM by ganguy »
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Flypaper 2

Re: Rebuilding the Formosa
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »
Jeez Reg. You can rebuild mine anytime. They look just slightly better than before repair. ???

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Gord, that is the 'before' photo, I'm still guing and screwing!
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Flypaper 2

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:09:44 PM »
 :-[OOPs  :-[ I'm sure it will look just as good though. ;D

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Oh ye of great faith, I'm not so sure, the fuse got crushed to one side and it's turning into a bigger deal than I thought. But I've got to get it together for this weather!

for some reason, I'm not getting notifications on the threads I've subscribed to here. Webmaster??
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
So here are some progress pictures:
1 - got it down to three big pieces
2-3 I had to virtually reshape a new cowling from the pieces, and then made a plaster female mold. Next steps, a male plug from this mold, then the Pop bottle treatment. I'm also thinking of making a fibreglass one too, right in the mold.
4- Down to two pieces, and a new motor mount unassemled under the wing.

After today, sanding and painting

Flypaper 2

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »
Looking good Reg. I've made a few cowls out of glass and epoxy using foam for the mold and melting it out with gasoline to melt it out. Although I found that method too messy and ended digging it out with a knife and soldering gun with a copper wire spoon shaped end on it.
      I didn't get a message on this subject although I have the "notify" on. Just came here too make sure you were behaving. ;D

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
Thanks, Gord, I'm heading downstairs to do the engine mount.
The plaster mols hasn't dried out enough to use yet. I've been looking forward to doing that ever since I saw it on YouTube.
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding the Formosa II
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »
Well, it
It's finished!
Don't look too closely!
Reg

Flypaper 2

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 08:18:55 AM »
Reg: What did you find with that rudder servo that has a mind of its own.??

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
Gord:
Haven't got to it yet, still gluing the Spit back together. Later today, maybe. I'm working on a small contract and got tummy trouble, so I'm keeping things in priority ( not getting too far from the loo!)
I'm thinking on that big Spit, maybe starting when I get back in June. It looks fantastic, handles easier apparently.
Later
Reg

Flypaper 2

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »
Your wife might not appreciate taking the workbench in the bathroom. ;D Bummer to lose you for a month.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »
Yah, I'll miss you guys and the flying. Last year we did a walkabout and every time I passed a big field I thought about how great it would be for flying.
Tummy has settled down so I can move the "Mosa out of the John!
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
Gord:
I just had a minute to check out the Mosa rudder. with the tail wheel on the ground, no problem, but as soon as I propped up the tail, the thing started to chatter and drift. It still gave full force both directions, but it crept away off center. I trimmed it back, wouldn't go all the way and kept on chattering.
So I unplugged the servo lead and plugged a new servo into the receiver, and it worked fine. So it looks like a servo swap, not a receiver or transmitter problem. (I guess)
Ever see this before?
Reg

Flypaper 2

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Fairly common. Sometimes it takes a bit of running for new servos to wear in the fingers in the potentiometer to wear into the carbon strip. Usually a few cycles is all it takes. Old servos just wear out the carbon in the pot. I have saved a few by taking them apart and spraying with WD40 to clean them, but with the price of todays servos, it's hardly worth while.