Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Rebuilding the Formosa II  (Read 5571 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
  • Member of the Flypaper School of Aeronuts
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding the Formosa II
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 05:43:28 PM »
I'm not going to fool with it, imagine what could go wrong!
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Flypaper 2

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »
Yep, Not worth losing a plane over.

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 06:24:25 AM »
Have you ever considered making a paper mache cowl?
George Thompson made some really nice parts, cowls and wheel pants, some years back. A lot better then playing with that messy fibreglass, although not as tough - just fly more carefully!

I have made some stuff in a similar manner using ordinary polyester or cotton cloth, thinning down carpenters glue with water, then thickening it up with talcum powder, applying multiple coatings and sanding. Smells nice, too!

I hate epoxy, seldom use it  for anything! Lots of good alternatives available, e.g., Weldbond, polyurethane glue, etc. Most people, even great designers/builders, use epoxy from force of habit, not because of any real science.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 07:01:58 AM »
Well, that might be worth doing, but right now I've got two other options. I made a cavity mold in plaster of paris, and hope to cast a male plug today, over which I intend to heat shrink a big pop bottle.
Then, if that doesn't work, Paul gave me a shattered Mosa cowling which I can patch back together as a male or female pattern, and work from that. So stay tuned for more exciting reports on the life of the Formosa 2, a Phoenix risen from the ashes.

And I also have to add washout to the wings, we got some tip stalling that nearly wrecked it a fourth time.
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »
Gord:
I'm going to cut the wash-out today. Does this sound right - I'll cut a wedge along the lines you showed me, about 3/4 of the thickness deep, but the wide end of the V about1/8" or more?
I assume I keep the same wedge shape all along the line or should I taper it to wards the inboard end of the line?
Hot glue?
Reg

Flypaper 2

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »
You could taper it towards the end, as long as the whole thing bends relatively easy. About a 1/4 in. droop at the end would be about right. Too much is not going to hurt anything. I jig the wing up to get a more or less standard, with books, weights and whatever. This is to get both wings with exactly the same washout. Once jigged up, you can see how much droop your putting into it by measuring with a ruler. Now hotglue that first wing. Set the other wing with the same jig setup and do the same so you get the same droop in both wings. Takes a bit of time, but it's worth it. ;D
   P.S. Here's a pic of the Zero I did. It's not critical where the cut exactly is, as long as it's the same on both sides.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:09:01 AM by Flypaper 2 »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »
Thanks Gord.
Sounds like I better have a bit of time to do this right!
I'm just putting the Spit back together, reinforcing a few spots. Amazing how the wing with elastics survived intact!
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
Spit is done, now for the washout. It looks on the Zero that there is an outboard hinge in the part that bends down. Doesn`t it affect the aileron operation, or warp the aileron a bit
I``m just trying to figure out the cutline. Jigging the wing is a nightmare, it doesn`t have a flat spot anywhere
GG

Flypaper 2

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
Didn't get home from the field today till just before 7. Worn out from flying. ;D
  The trailing edge stays straight, only the leading edge drops at the tip. I had to check out the zero to remember what I did.  As long as the wing is held solid it's fine. I put a dot at the wing leading edge near the tip. Stick a book or something to prop the wing  up on one side, the other wing we don't worry about for now. Prop the end of the wing up until the dot at the leading edge shows 1 inch from the table. Now put hot glue in the groove and quickly put the wing back on the table/book so it shows the 1 inch mark. With the glue still hot, bend the tip down to the 3/4 inch mark, as this the washout that you need. Repeat with the other wing and your good to go. Probably you can do this quicker than I can type. ???
  Does this make sense.?? 

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »
Thanks, Gord.
More later,
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »
Gord:
So in my photo  attached, I am cutting along the black line, gluing, and pulling the wingtip towards me so that when it is right side up, your wingtip dot droops down 1/4 inch?
Does the black line look about right?
Couldn't get out today, maybe tonight locally.
Reg

Flypaper 2

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »
Yep, looks good Reg. although you probably have it done by now. Sorry I'm late. :-[

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 11:30:20 PM »
Actually, I didn't do it yet, and looking at the Zero, I should drop the left end of the line lower to get more droop. Surgery Tuesday!
Thanks for being patient through this.
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »
Gary
re-reading your post above about papier-mache, you should know better, flying carefully is not what I do! I need a cowling made of LEXAN
Reg

PS finally got the cowling plug out of the mould. Had to cut it off, the mold release was too thick. I'll be able to sand it smooth when dry and patch up the cracks. Then, I'll shrink a bottle over it and see what we get!
R aka gg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:03:42 AM by ganguy »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »
Gord:
Finished the wing mods. Man that stuff is thick and tough. I drooped the tips 1/4'' at the diagonal to the cut line. It is hard to see in the photos. If this doesn't work, I think I'll try adding  leading edge droopers like some of the manufacturers are supplying. Sorry for the photo quality, I was in a hurry. Think it will make a difference? I read all the tip stall threads on RCGroups that you got involved in.
Reg

PS - forgot to show how I measured the droop point
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:59:03 AM by ganguy »