Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: fun combat  (Read 2448 times)

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
fun combat
« on: March 23, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2376322
 Who all would like to try some fun combat?? This is the slow style fun stuff.
 If anyone is interested I'll build one and bring it out to the field for anyone get a flight on it.
 When you go to the website to download the plan, they are printed out at full size and you just tape the sheets together to get the plans.
 I'll crank it out with Dollarstore foam and see how it turns out.
  Who's up to the challenge?? ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:06:32 AM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: fun combat
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:56:03 AM »
Why not? I.m in
GG
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:01:25 AM »
You know me I can't leave anything alone. :-[
 Going to make the fuse a little wider at the front to add a short doubler to the inside for strength and more room for the batt.
  The slots in the wings for the struts cause a very weak point, so I'Il add a strip of foam about a 1/2 in wide, front to back at that point and glue the struts at that point, at the corner.
 They use packing tape for strength in the vertical struts. I'll use 1 mm carbon fibre for its stiffness.
I'll add pics if you like.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 07:23:44 AM »
Gord:
A great day yesterday, and although most of the video was useless, I got a great take-off shot, though so I'll process it and get it up later today.

So are you working on the plan that Rolly printed out? I was surprised at the amount of detail and the size of  it. From the video, they looked smaller. I'm thinking that a Magnum Reloaded might be a faster, more repairable build, and I can fly combat with it.

But for now, I'm fixing up the odd thing we found yesterday, and stripping the F117 (Boo Hoo - next time I'll make sure I get a good design. OR - should I move the motor forward a bunch, I'd like to learn what caused the stability problem)

Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »
You could move the motor back about an in and a half or two and give it another go, What bothered me was no reflex in the elevators. Also, no trim change when inverted, which is also a tail heavy symptom. Although that's how you trim out an aerobatic plane.  Twitchiness can be taken out with expo.
 As far as Rollys plans go, I already cut out patterns for my slightly smaller version so I'll stick with it. Only about 1/2 in. difference in the wingspan.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:05:00 AM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:37:04 AM »
Gord - I'm going to try that motor shift, it seems a shame to give up. I'm going to check other designs for the correct COG location.
Also, I think the problem on My SU is motor thrust-offset in the wrong direction.
Thanks,
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 06:15:39 AM »
Making slow progress. This flying part takes up too much time :-[ But I wouldn't have it any other way.  :P
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:45 AM »
Gord:
Looks good so far! Without the top wing it looks a lot like my FT Scout.

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 06:40:24 AM »
Reg, I have a Magnum reloaded - officially, it is Mikayla's plane for here in the summertime. It is a great little machine, and has an extremely enthusiastic following. I have arborite templates made up for the various parts and have cut a couple of fuselages, etc.. I set it aside for now, as I have other things to finish up. I have the drawing files, as well. Meanwhile, the US seller of the kit will be at Toledo and I intend to drop by to check it out.

Some of these are flown in combat, some indoors, and there are some with modifications.

IF you wish to build one or more, I will loan you my templates.

Here is the main Forum for the MR.  Be sure to click on the "View all images in thread" item, over near the top right area - you will see some really neat stuff!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595008

As I mentioned to Gord, it would be great to get someone with a laser cutter (now, who would have one of those things???) to cut a set of hard templates (thin arborite is my preferred choice) for the Eddie/Otto planes. Then, folks could borrow the templates long enough to create their own plane, replacements parts, etc. Just as there a going to be a bunch of WW2 SpitStangs flying around this year, we could have a squadron or two (the Flypaper Escadrille?) roaming the unfriendly skies.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:13:54 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 07:30:55 AM »
Gary:
That's great! I have been studying that and other MR sites, and I have the material, so PLEASE bring the templates, Thanks so much. I'll let you know when I'm field-bound again. Today I will mess with the BB (Black and Blue) stabilizer and will give you a call if i cannot get it. I'm loving that plane! A bit worried about fuse twisting.

I agree with your comments about the templates. I made mine for the BB out of laminate flooring, what a job - more than the foam. Perhaps we could have a category where all the rigid templates are listed and who has them for borrowers?
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »
For hotwire cutting, I use Arborite  but for tracing patterns onto foam I use Bristol board cut out with scissors.
Gord

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 09:21:41 AM »
My flying wings, for example, are based upon the $Tree foamboard. For the original one, I drew a pattern onto the foamboard, along with any pertinent notes or other markings. I cut the parts out, then removed the paper covering - my new templates. Bonus: you get TWO sets of patterns, one from each side, in case you want to loan out a set, etc.!

Then, when you decide to build another similar plane, you simply lay down and appropriately weight this pattern onto the fresh sheet, trace, modify as you see fit and then start cutting.

I am up to the 5th generation of these things now, each one having modifications from any previous generations. I have kept the most recent pattern each time, until I am sure that the newest machine is as good as the original, or hopefully better, as it has the latest mods. Then, I throw away the previous patterns. If the latest one is disappointing, I have the previous one as my keeper.

This foamboard is so nice to work with!

"Conquering the Skies one Glue Stick at a time"
         - motto of the Flypaper College of Aero-nut-ical Knowledge
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 09:55:37 AM »
I still think a Sticky with a list of plans and templates paper or whatever, would be great to see and use, and it could encourage others to build. it could just be a list of plane names with the owners screen name (SU27 - Ganguy) so one could get in touch privately, OR we could include one small photo.so our Sticky could be visually browsed. What think you? I've got 10 or so to contribute (Paper, bristol board and laminate) How do we start this oh moderator?
GG
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:58:44 AM by ganguy »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:43:10 AM »
Something like this:
(attached)

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »
I think it's a great idea Reg, but the amount of interest shown here makes it hardly worthwhile for the three of us to continue.
Gord