Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building the ME163B  (Read 1480 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Building the ME163B
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 08:03:36 AM »
Take-off dolly works fine, but I'm working on a servo-release for it for 4 reasons:
Don't want it on the field so as to interfere with others, don't want to walk out to get it, and don't want it bouncing up to hit the plane. But the last - is for true scale effect, the Germans found that it was better to release it from 100 feet so it wouldn't hit the plane. In my case, I'll just fly it around to the mini-field and drop it safely. Also, replaced the smaller wheels with FunCub wheels to get her nose up a bit.
Had two more good flights on it this week.
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 12:41:58 PM »
Well,I finished the dolly release and it works (in the shop, anyway)
Gravity, keep doing your stuff!
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »
LOL Great job Reg. So simple yet so cool.
 I'll see if I can catch it. ;D
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 01:06:35 PM »
I wish you were there yesterday, Gord, things went a bit pear--shaped.

I took off with the dolly attached, but she wouldn't climb more than 5 feet off the ground and I put her down on the wheels - not bad so far. A little wind came up and I was able to get her off the ground later, dropped the dolly fast (it worked) and climbed away. I had a nice flight of about 3 minutes, noting that she likes to fly at 60% power, but not to turn at that speed, needs lots of throttle and up el in the turn ( time for a mix?)

Long story short, I put her into a tree and broke the starboard wing pretty badly. If it wasn't for the spar it would have come right off.

I figured out a way to fix it, just waiting for the contact cement to ripen before I cut the plug for the toothy gap in the wing. You can see the crushed piece in the photo on the table. The crack at the rear of the wing has responded to hot glue. So I think a few more hours and we can go again.
In my view the drop-dolly isn't worth the trouble, I'm going to remove the servo after you have a chance to catch it Gord!

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
Something I found that works well when I broke one of the outer fins off on the Pogo, was to glue it back on with hotglue, then put Hockey tape the length of the crack to bridge the plastic sheeting. Gives you back the original strength of the skin.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
All fixed, thanks fr the trim flight. I've adjusted the height of the dolly, removed the drop-servo, and just figuring out how to keep the prop off the grass. The rubber finger idea might work!

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:42 AM »
After a night in one of our attack trees, with light rain, the ME came out unscathed and ready to fly. Thanks to Marvin for the search!
Despite fears that the camo would make it invisible, it was easy to spot.
Reg
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:36:11 AM by ganguy »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »
Stability
The ME seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes taking off as though the cartoon pilot came to life. Reading on the build site, someone there had a similar problem, thought there might be too much side area ahead of the COG, so I made two adjustments to reduce that area by about 30%, photos below. Not so pretty, but it might prove the point.
I also have mixed in a bit of rudder to ailerons. Here's hoping, but I think the dolly won't fit now, Gord so get ready to throw!

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
Sounds good Reg. Just need to find a good day.
Gord