Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Kingston IMAA Funfly  (Read 1473 times)

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
  • Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee.....
    • View Profile
Kingston IMAA Funfly
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
Found this link at RCCanada

Some teaser pics from saturday

https://picasaweb.google.com/TCPRCphotos/KingstonGiantScale2011Teaser#
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:26:49 PM by shaggy »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Kingston IMAA Funfly - Request for Pictures and Links
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:42 AM »
Make sure you check this topic from time to time over the next few days. Larry, the IMAA official photographer, whose Picasa site has already been noted, will be adding many more photos to his gallery. We expect others to be posting photos in here. The more the merrier!

If you have pictures, please do not be shy about sharing them. If you have a personal gallery, such as in Picasa, Flickr or any other photo-sharing service, we would love to have you post a link.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kingston IMAA Funfly - The Famous Volksplane!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »
Once again (my) Pilots Choice aircraft showed up at KRCM.  Our father and sons team from the Kitchener-Waterloo area brought this puppy all the way down here to thrill the crowd.

No doubt there will be more than one picture posted soon of this machine in the air, which I leave to others to do. The "high speed" passes are awesome - the aviatrix with her hair blowing in the breeze reminds one of the Golden Air of flight. And the loops ... sheer poetry in motion! Not to mention the absolutely perfect landing we saw on Sunday afternoon (by the son, not the old man!)

I have attached some pictures where I tried to capture the ground-based aspect of owning and operating such a fantastic piece of work. You may notice that we even have a prospective Pilot (my grand-daughter) in mind for, say, a couple of years from now, when she is big enough to reach the rudder pedals.

And, get a load of the little "steampunk" support cart. True backyard engineering at its best, methinks.

Enjoy!

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kingston IMAA Funfly - Success!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »
 As the dust settled, Dave Penchuk declared this to have been not only the biggest IMAA event in Canada, but an all around success. We at KRCM could not agree more.

As with the Olympics, the sort-of-official closing ceremony includes the hand-off to next year's host Club (oops! that's us again!). Hence, the picture attached.

KRCM has a number of folks who have worked very hard over the last few weeks to ensure that Dave's IMAA team could show up on Friday and only have to worry about running the actual event, which is a monumental undertaking. That is exactly what happened!

We have never seen, nor even imagined, such a collection of cars, RVs, campers, tents and the like as we were able to pack into our facilities. I was half expecting that, similar to the great Woodstock festival, we would be hearing that the troopers were about to close down the 401 because of our little gathering. Well, everyone got a space to park or camp, with not one scrape or scratch.

We fed everyone from breakfast through until the Saturday banquet (125 served, ZERO complaints received!), and then we started the feeding all over again at daybreak on Sunday.

The Flight Line management really made the day. There was ZERO "dead air" from the time of the Pilots' Meeting until Dave closed down the official IMAA day, and everyone got as much flying time as they desired. Great prizes were handed out, the IMAA organizing team and the KRCM support staff were thanked. The dinner was the prime focus at this point.

Yet, there was still hours of flying time for anyone who wanted to take advantage of it. Many did, and there was almost every type and size of flying machine that you could imagine storming around our airspace.

But, there was still Sunday. A more casual, yet enjoyable last chance to get some stick time. The weather cooperated for a few hours and the food was as good as ever.

The rain held off until after folks had their fill of flying for the weekend and were pretty much packed up and on the trail heading home. Then, the KRCM clean-up crew worked their tails off for another couple of hours. By late afternoon, it looked like no one had been out here in days - but we all know better ;)
Sleep came easy Sunday night.

We will now step back and review the whole event to see what improvements need to be made for next year. If you have comments in this area, please let one of the IMAA Executive know. It's YOUR event.

So ... was it all worth it? You betcha !!!!!

On behalf of KRCM,
"Y'all come back again next year."

Gary
KRCM President
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 11:48:20 AM by Deerslayer »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kingston IMAA Funfly - The Meat at the Meet
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
Some of us sort of live for food.

The 2011 IMAA event did not disappoint. KRCM organized the big dinner.

One of the more interesting aspects of this, I think, is how those tasty big cluckers end up in eatable shape - and they were absolutely prefect!

We contracted in a local fellow to provide this service. Here are some pictures of the Cary brothers, and their massive cooker. These fellows rolled in at about 1100 hours, did one emergency run to trap a few extra chickens a couple hours later in order to satisfy the higher than expected turn-out and still produced 125 plates full of scrumptions, wood-cooked chickens.

KRCM had a small crew which provided the rest of the meal and served it all. Dave and Anita Fasken,
Bill Hughes and his wife (guests at the event), John Pickering, Erle Jenkin, Steve Bucci, Jim Murdock - and I am sure I have missed someone here - organized and served the actual dinner, and cleaned up afterward.

Dave, Mike and Rolly Siemonsen were the prime movers in getting the whole thing organized and the salads, deserts, eating supplies, etc. Again, I have probably forgotten others. I hope someone else has pictures to post of the banquet layout itself, with our serving staff at work.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:37:16 PM by Deerslayer »

Online J_Lee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston IMAA Funfly
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
Ya, I would consider it a definite success...  ;D

Jason