Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Foamboard differences and a simple question  (Read 413 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Foamboard differences and a simple question
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:41:23 AM »
Up until now, I have always used the Adams' Readi-Board from Dollar Tree. Recently, I picked up some Ross' Craft Board (made by Elmers) at Dollarama.

Both product heat bond a paper covering to the foam sheet. Here the similarity ends. Apart from slight color difference, there are 2 other significant differences:

1) The Elmers product seems to be more water-resistant, i.e., you can apply a water-based paint, such as Minwax Polycrylic Finish Sealer and the paper quickly absorbs it yet does not wrinkle or come loose. I cannot get the paper to cleanly release from this foam - it always tears and separates, leaving a paper film on the foam. I have tried using a covering iron, heat gun, applying water, alcohol, etc., to no avail. 

2) The $Tree board easily releases its paper covering. I have built lots of foamy machine using this product, with the paper stripped off. The result is a marginally  lighter but more fragile structure.

From what I can determine, there is a difference in the paper used by each of these companies and the heat setting temperature would have been slightly higher for the Elmers.

Does someone have a good technique for easily removing the paper from the Elmers board without damaging the foam?
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Foamboard differences and a simple question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:12:21 AM »
I've been using Elmer's for the last few planes and have no trouble stripping the paper covering. The only trick I can suggest is the pull angle should be vertical for best results. Like you, I love the paintability., but don't count too much on the waterproofness of it.

Another tried and true method is to fly the plane into a tree and leave it there for a week!

Anyway, the Foam &Hot Glue Pioneers Society is shifting to thicker foam from Home Depot - my Yagi is superb in flight, and my Fokker DR1 is almost finished, a dead copy of Gord's.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 07:22:42 AM »

Anyway, the Foam &Hot Glue Pioneers Society is shifting to thicker foam from Home Depot - my Yagi is superb in flight, and my Fokker DR1 is almost finished, a dead copy of Gord's.
Reg

I never like to be on the bleeding edge of technology (40 years of computer systems development and support taught me that, in spades!).

Steampunk for me - for instance, this is what I am now working on to solve my rabbit problem, soon will be converted to a flying version suitable for Canada goose control.

My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »
I use them for their separate individual traits.
 For instance, a Pizza Box with the paper off the main square for lightness then laminate the Ross stuff at the front 1/4 across the width.
 This way you get the best of both worlds. ;D
      Bunch if ducks and geese playing offshore of my front lawn. Don't they know to enough toget in out of the rain.!! ??? :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:47:09 AM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
There's a Digger Dan on my front lawn tearing up the driveway and culvert. No ducks

Gord's use of foams is called EmRoss integrated structural design!
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
You need a Canada Goose for a pet
 I just watched on the Discovery channel a Canada goose chasing a 400 lb Silverback gorilla and he was running as fast as he could. :P ;D :o :laugh:
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.