Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: New Skycart Project  (Read 287 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
New Skycart Project
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
Well, I'm building a SkyKart like Gord's except, mine is not Mario, it will be piloted by, none other than Wylie Coyote, and in the right seat - you guessed it, the RoadRunner!
Got most of the pieces cit out, starting assembly, but thought Gord might comment on my attempt at the wheels. They are almost 4" diameter, and 3" wide instead of four. If I don't get fed up with my foam cutter, I might add the other inch.
Photos to follow tomorrow
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Re: New Skycart Project
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »
Hey Reg: I cheated making my wheels. I used my bandsaw and drilled a hole and tapped it to take a 4-40 long screw.
 I drilled it 2 in. away from the side of the blade , on the bandsaw deck. I cut some squares a little bigger than 2 in. pushed them down over the screw, then crank up the bandsaw and turn the foam square into the blade, cutting a circle.
 If there's a cheap easy way of doing it I'll find it. ;D
 Just another way of doing it.
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
Well, I did just about the same thing with my hot wire machine. I wish I had a band saw! Mostly I use my little jigsaw. Now why didn't I think of that for the wheels?
I've got all the wheels cut now, just gluing them together and making small plywood hubs.

I'm wondering how best to lower the front axle.

I wonder whether these posts should be in this category or under Foamies?
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
If you have the 4 in. wheels, you shouldn't need to lower the axle. What it really needs is raising the motor level, as we talked about.
 Another thing that might be done, is to make 5 in. wheels!!  I may try that, using the foam from Home Depot, making two wheels and glueing them together to get a 1 1/2 in wide wheel. ;D
  HHHMMM might try that right now. Well maybe get something to eat first. :o
 Just picked another sheet of foam from Home Depot to get another Terrydocktile made.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:05:51 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:23:15 PM »
Gord:
I had already finished the cuts, 8 pieces. Funny, the came out 3-3/4 diameter and 3 inches long. I could add an outer layer of EPP which would add 1/2 inch on the diameter. Will experiment with that tomorrow. It might be better than the blue stuff, as it is flexible and will take some shock, and keep the blue from crumbling.
I couldn't make them in Home Depot stuff because I haven't got any left.

On raising the motor, I saw somewhere where a guy had it on a servo so it was cranked up for takeoff, then dropped back to the inflight setting. Not for me.

I'm having a problem with Wylie. I used contact cement to glue the paper on, but that side of the foam had no film on it, so the fuse warped. I think I'll take the plastic film off the other side when I glue it, hoping some of the warp will come out. Working on hinges now, then she starts to go together.

I think I'll make another body for my Magnuum while I have the hot wire setup.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »
Gord:
First photo shows my enlarged elevon hinges. Now installed, they are very strong, plastic hinge plates with a little copper rivet stolen from the mini-pin hinges.

Second 2 photos: Would this work on the Kart to get more airflow under it for take-off? I've exaggerated everything, but a servo could be mapped to the gear switch, so after you get up speed, you could pop the doors open?

Just a thought

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 08:02:53 PM »
First one looks good.
 Don't know about the second. Worth a try though.
Gord