Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: ME 109 foamie build - Club Combat  (Read 611 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
ME 109 foamie build - Club Combat
« on: March 05, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
Gord got me off on this, so I'll show progress here, 36: WS, all 3/4 inch Home Depot foam. This all I've done so far. I used the foam cutter on the curved sections as it is hard to cut a neat curve with this material.
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Flypaper 2

Re: ME 109 foamie build - Club Combat
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 08:42:15 PM »
We're trying to get a little bit of combat interest going with this cheap foam. I'm working on a P47 the same size as Regies. Sort of slow, fun combat.

Online Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:22:52 AM »
Oh for crying out loud, I just finish my SE5 and now I have to build one for WW2? Geeze yuze guy's  :P ;D 8) :laugh:
In dog beers I've only had one

Flypaper 2

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:48:24 AM »
What WW2 plane is your favorite Dwayne,  and about to build.??These are a little bigger than the WW1 birds, at 36 in. WS.

Online Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »
What WW2 plane is your favorite Dwayne,  and about to build.??These are a little bigger than the WW1 birds, at 36 in. WS.

What are the numbers, fuse length, wing chord, motor etc.
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:21:27 PM by Dwayne »

Flypaper 2

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:04:55 AM »
The P47 fuse is 31 in. wing chord is 10 in. but the real P47 had a short stubby wing for its size. I think Regies 109 is around 8 or 9 in chord.
 As long as the WS is 36 in. the other numbers come out right.
 I download 3 views then blow them up with a calculator to get the 36 in. . Say 5 times. Then I multiply all the dimensions by 5. I use a pencil( one of those antique devices) as , when I make a mistake, it's easy to erase, unlike a ballpoint. Then I cut them out and copy to Bristol board for permanent patterns.
I enjoy doing it this way, but if I were in a hurry, I have taken the drawing to Staples and have them blow them up to the size that I want, for a reasonable price. Here's the P47 so far. Just now I'm installing the electronics.
 Giver Dwayne   ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 09:06:40 AM by Flypaper 2 »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
My root chord is 9" and it tapers straight to 5" at the wingtip. It looks scale, and I may have to add some area. That's why my removable wing mod will come in handy, I can have two wings and try them both!
Made a bit of progress yesterday, the fuse and firewall are together, I'm just trying to figure out the tail-feathers.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 10:58:28 AM »
The P47 fuse is 31 in. wing chord is 10 in. but the real P47 had a short stubby wing for its size. I think Regies 109 is around 8 or 9 in chord.
 As long as the WS is 36 in. the other numbers come out right.
 I download 3 views then blow them up with a calculator to get the 36 in. . Say 5 times. Then I multiply all the dimensions by 5. I use a pencil( one of those antique devices) as , when I make a mistake, it's easy to erase, unlike a ballpoint. Then I cut them out and copy to Bristol board for permanent patterns.
I enjoy doing it this way, but if I were in a hurry, I have taken the drawing to Staples and have them blow them up to the size that I want, for a reasonable price. Here's the P47 so far. Just now I'm installing the electronics.
 Giver Dwayne   ;D

Thanks Gord, what's the stuff you use to stiffen the wing?
thanks  ;D

Flypaper 2

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »
That's the cupboard edge molding. You can get it at Home Depot. If you go in the main door and go to the exact opposite end of the building corner, there's a hardware shelf with this stuff. It comes in plastic and wood strips on a roll. Get the wood , as the plastic is not strong enough. I use Birch. ;D. It's so easy to use , it should be illegal  :o
 Slap it on the wing about a 1/3 of the way back and iron it on. I use the monocote iron. I use a couple of pieces of Scotch Tape just to hold it in place to get started. I put a strip down one side of the fuselage too.
 Only reason I used it on this plane is, it's going to have a rough life in combat and needed to be beefed up a bit. Otherwise I wouldn't have used it.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
She's finished! and RTF - Gord!
Photos here!
I forgot to put the the splitter in for the ails as I want to keep aux1 free for the 20mm cannon. Other than that, where is the sun?
She balances right on the main spar, about 25% of chord. I forgot to weigh it, back atcha.
Reg
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 04:22:48 PM by ganguy »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »
You can see the Birch spar on one of the photos and after your crash, I wish I had done it to the fuse, but I could always put it along the bottom of the fuse, it would help on landings. It was great on Terry's tummy.
Funny,  I started this thread and didn't see all the posts because I was sick.
Gord, I also use that birch for scuffplates where the elastics go, and as stress plate around the rods that catch the rubber bands, love it!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:47:21 PM by ganguy »

Flypaper 2

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »
Excellent job Reg. Looks too good to get into combat with.
 Better get mine finished.
Weather looks too good to pass up tomorrow, as long as it holds up.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 09:51:38 PM »
Yeah, I think I got carried away. It was great at the finish line today but what's next? I guess I'd better fix up what I've got.
Not driving, I can't get out tomorrow, sorry.
Reg