Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: *Maniacal Giggling*  (Read 218 times)

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
*Maniacal Giggling*
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
Muahahahahahaaa! Spitfire!

Graduated from the Fun Cub to a FliteTest Spitfire. Holy poop on a pogo stick! Wheeeeeeeee!
Nothing too fancy, with the build. Plain white foam, for the most part. But Marvin put some nice reflective red coverings on the tops of the wings, so it is damned easy to spot (from the top)

So... Who is interested in some dogfighting? :D

(Will post photos later)
PM if you have any questions or concerns or just want to say hi!

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Re: *Maniacal Giggling*
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:32:46 AM »
Oh No! Say it ain't so!  Woe is we!

Hide the wimmens and children!

Perhaps you can drag Gord into your evil scheme? General Malarky + Flypaper = general mayhem
Watch the fur foam fly!
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:32:57 AM »
I hid around the corner of the playhouse a couple of days ago, out of raw fear, watching Thomas flying his tarted up Spitplane. He was having too much fun and was really handling the beast very well ( but I would never tell him that!).

As for any of you others who dare to take your $3 fighters to the skies against him - Be afraid! BE VERY AFRAID!
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »
Hahaha, thanks Gary! I am already finding this FlightTest design 'too light', but it is still hella fun to fly! If I manage my throttle, I can get nearly 7 minutes out of it. I need to be careful, though, as I have noticed some serious bending with the wings. I'll just have to ease up on the elevator and not whip it around (as much as it has saved my ass from diving in to the ground at Mach Chicken) Belly landing has been interesting. I think I prefer having landing gear, but I don't mind belly landing. Learning to hand launch has been an adventure. The first attempt I had made, with the old P-51, had resulted in a wrecked P-51. But I had done that on a windy day without instruction. A hard lesson learned. Since then, I have received some great advice and changed how I operate (mostly the addition of a lanyard to the transmitter) have helped greatly.

I am planning on making a "Flypaper" Typhoon. What sorts of foam/insulation do folks suggest using? What of scaling the wings and such?

Btw, those photos I had promised;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7q52hkekjhed4sq/AAA9SQtfM3VToyGIh-ZXlJpua?dl=0

Nothing too fancy, as I mentioned. Just the reflective red covering (we tested the range to ensure the reflective material was not interfering with the radio signals) which is quite easy to spot, when the wings are facing you. I am thinking of adding some markings on the tail and the underside of the wings, to help with positional identification.

We have had to reinforce the nose and belly a bit, mostly due to moisture from morning flights (dew on the grass). Other than that, nothing of note has been done to the structure.

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:28:29 PM »
Thanks Gord. I hadn't thought to check out Lowes, though we had been to Home Depot. So any old brand of foam sheet is fine? Or are there a brands I should look for or avoid?

I'll poke around Google for some images of Typhoons and see what I can come up with.

This might be a good set of profile images. https://weaponsandwarfare.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/typddsf.jpg

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
Favourite WW1 plane? Uhmmm, I think it has two sets of wings. (I don't know a heck of a lot about biplanes, to be honest) Though I'll be getting at whatever project I had lined up next, as I totaled the Spitfire, today.

Offline Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 07:48:23 PM »
That's a bummer with the Spit. Wa happened ??
 Dwayne has a WW! plane The SE5 and it flies very well. Give it a Google, Download a 3 view and Have at 'er. ;D
 About 35 to 38 in. span would be good.

Sir General  :P
I'd be more than happy to let you take measurements and answer any questions you may have, these are great flying airplanes. Oh and did I not tell you the Spit would be a great next plane?  What a happened?

Dwayne
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:52:12 PM by Dwayne »
In dog beers I've only had one

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 05:25:27 AM »
Well, with regards to the Spitfire, I have been flying it pretty hard. Trying new things and testing my abilities, learning how it handles and how flying works, etc. While flying close to the ground, yesterday, I simply made the mistake of my brain saying "right" and my thumb going "left" with the ailerons. It wasn't from more than 5 feet and throttle was low, but the Spitfire hit nose first, at an angle, catching one of the wings. The frame twisted and the fuselage is pretty much toast. The wings and tail are fine. The fuselage is pretty toast, though. I see the value in these plane being so cheap to get in the air, but I think I need something a bit 'meatier' (like foam insulation) and a means of powering a hotglue gun remotely (without available wall power).

I did notice an awful lot of twisting and bending, while flying the Flighttest Spitfire. I need to either calm the fart down, with my flying, or get something bigger and more sturdy. I was thinking, with my ideas to make a "Flypaper", that I might try and over-size the engine, in an effort to make the plane a bit bigger and to install dowels for stability. Or maybe I just need to graduate from electric to gas and fly bigger, heavier planes (cos that'll end well, in short order, heh)

Bleargh. At least I have some time to plan things out.

(edited for language)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:43:18 AM by General Malarky »

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »
Bad cuswords on the net are uncalled for, you will notice. >:(
Out at the field , no problem.
 Children and women are reading this too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:35:08 AM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.