Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: FT EXPLORER BUILD (FPV platform  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
FT EXPLORER BUILD (FPV platform
« on: April 28, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
Ever since Gary let me fly his FPV wing, I have had the bug to get into FPV myself.  I heard that Horizon Hobbies had a great deal on a ARF FPV equiped flying wing for $199.99 USD. I went to Leading Edge Hobbies and ordered one through Tony.  Of course after placing my order, I began checking out the reviews for the Manta and discovered that it may not be the ideal choice to practive FPV with.  The reviews all said that it was very fast, and did not like to slow down very much before tip stalling.  This obviously would make landing very tricky.  Then Reg brought out a Volantex Ranger to the field. This is a pod and boom high wing aiplane with a rear mounted motor.  Once I got over the sticker shock in US dollars, I decided that there must be another way to get a relatively slow flying airplane.  Thats when I discovered the FT (FLIGHT TEST) EXPLORER. It is also a high wing pod and boom airplane with the motor above the boom in the rear.  It is totally constructed from Dollar Tree Foam Board.  (Dollar Tree is located next door to the Red Lobster on Bath Road). The price is $1.25 per sheet. Here is the build so far using 1 sheet of foam costing $1.25 + HST.....

Next is the boom and tail feathers..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:39:55 PM by Deerslayer »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: FT EXPLORER BUILD (FPV platform
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »
Wilf:
I have built 6 different Flite test designs and I find them great fun, but one common weakness.- the wing construction. They work well in flight, but have a tendency to "dish" after a bit of handling. I "solved" it by putting extra spars and a few ribs. It adds a bit of weight, but you can deal with it.
I did this on my second FT Versa wing, and also reinforced the LE under the spot that I hold it to  discus launch. The Versa 2 also has a CF spar, added after a crash which the foam spars didn't handle too well. Anyway it still floats like a butterfly, and is about my favourite plane.
Do you remember my Blue floater? I found that the fuse on the FT Simple Soarer was too weak. so I threw it away and am keeping the wing to mount on the old "Blue Baby" , I might see you up there!
Reg
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:53:22 AM by ganguy »
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
Looking good Reg. A lot of people have complained about the wing being weak near the centre and have suggested putting in a carbon spar. I was surprised how strong it then made the wing.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »
Thanks, Wilf.
I guess if I merge the Blue Floater body with Simple Soarer wing, I should call it the Bue Soarer (or the Simple Floater?)
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »
Wilf:
I did merge those two planes and with a little tweaking of wing incidence, it produced a fun powered glider which i was able to thermal one day, but I'm looking to move up to a Radian for more performance.
My plane has a camera slot right up front.