Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Hinging of Foamboard  (Read 116 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Hinging of Foamboard
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:45:23 AM »
If you don't check in to the Flitetest site from time to time, you are missing some neat stuff. Somewhere in there, I saw the following idea and tried it out on some scrap. It is simple and easy and really works well! I doubt that one would ever break such a hinge, as it has the 2 paper layers sandwiching the minute foam layer at the joint line, yet it is as flexible as a taped or glue film hinge, in my opinion. (Perhaps we should add this into the Flypaper College Of Aero-Nut-ical Knowledge textbook?) Remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat - not that I am into that kind of thing.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ironed-foamboard-hinges

I wonder - should we be having the occasional seminar out at the Toyground, during our winter playdays, on some of this Foamology? Of course, it would be  FCAK certified!
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Hinging of Foamboard
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:39:43 AM »
Gary:
I don't know. looks tricky to me and you know I don't have much patience. There must be a better way. I like pin hinges, but they will pull out in time. I'm going to try different things till I get it right. Being a crasher, I need something strong. The fibreglass hinges tend to pull away.

The most durable has been the hot glue hinge, but also tricky to get right.

As for the foam seminar, that would be fun if you can find more than 3 interested parties. Count me in.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
Gary:
I don't know. looks tricky to me and you know I don't have much patience. There must be a better way. I like pin hinges, but they will pull out in time. I'm going to try different things till I get it right. Being a crasher, I need something strong. The fibreglass hinges tend to pull away.

The most durable has been the hot glue hinge, but also tricky to get right.

As for the foam seminar, that would be fun if you can find more than 3 interested parties. Count me in.
Reg

Well, thar be you, me and the Master - quorum! We sort of do this anyway, it's just another excuse to lend an air of legitimacy to it all.

As for that hinge technique, I really like it. I did a couple of them on scraps to develop the technique, perhaps not exactly as he did it, using a covering iron. I will try on my next Unidentified Foamy Object.

Now that my (store-bought) X-VERT is a complete success, I will get back to some work on my own design, perhaps even starting all over!
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
And bookmarked for future reference, thank you for sharing!

Think I'll try this on that Typhoon :)
PM if you have any questions or concerns or just want to say hi!