Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Solar-Powered Recharging Station?  (Read 99 times)

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Solar-Powered Recharging Station?
« on: August 04, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »
So I got to wondering, the other day; "Could we set up a small solar panel on the roof of the club to charge a car battery to be made available to members as a means to recharge batteries?"

I do not know much about electronics (other than red to red/black to black and that blue smoke is what makes things work and if it gets out, they stop working) but would it be overly difficult and/or costly to set up another solar panel (like the one powering the weather station) to charge a car battery (or two) to act as a power bank for folks to recharge their batteries from? Maybe set up a pair of dedicated outlets?

With more folks flying electric, as opposed to liquid-fueled, I was wondering if there could be an addition to the flying lessons curriculum to cover proper Lipo handling practices?

Pros:
~ More people might come out to fly if they are able to charge their batteries at the field.
~ Ease of access to charging services may result in more planes being in the air.
~ Folks will not have to have their vehicle batteries drained, risking getting stranded (small risk, but still)
~ Possible reduction in noise/air pollution by saving folks from having to run generators (and also save them money)
~ Charging devices closer to the flight line are more likely to be heard and monitored, than those in the parking lot. (I often hear chargers ringing along the parking lot line while folks are sat opposite the clubhouse, oblivious to their chargers. No judgement, just saying it happens)

Cons:
~ Expensive and a possible theft-risk (pretty much the clincher)
~ Difficult(?) to set up and regulate.
~ Risk to the clubhouse of people leaving batteries charging unattended.
~ Over-use/output. Will it be able to supply enough power to meet demands on a busy day?

Any thoughts on the subject?
PM if you have any questions or concerns or just want to say hi!

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Solar-Powered Recharging Station?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 12:18:52 PM »
A recent issue of the MAAC magazine described this in detail, a club has already done it.
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"