Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Flying Crash Mystery  (Read 132 times)

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
Flying Crash Mystery
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:39:56 AM »
I was doing a test FPV flight using a FPV camera/transmitter combination on loan to me from Leading Edge Hobbies.  For the first time, I was using my red and white Canada Day mini-buckle #2 when for no apparent reason it went out of control.  I wasn't that far away, when it went in.  Maybe you can tell what happened from the video.

If yu pause the video and scroll frame by frame towards the end, you will see a few frames of what I saw at the last few seconds. About 27 seconds from the end.

Her is the link on youtube.  https://youtu.be/xQTKfJGmuQM

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Re: Flying Crash Mystery
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
Looks like it lost the RF link between the trans and rcvr. There is a spot about halfway through where the pic scrambles for a few seconds too.
Did you get the plane back alright??
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
A day later, I brought my FPV explorer to the field to try and stop my lost mini buckle. This plane has dozens of FPV flights on it at distances at least twice as far as this last one.  At about 300 meters out, same place as the mini buckle it went crazy and went in.   

Merrill Baker found both planes for me.  They were less than 10 meters apart. The mini buckle had minor damage, but the ft explorer is toast.  Except for a flat battery in the mini buckle, all of the electronics still worked. 

Seems like my Spektrum DX9 has lost output power somehow.....?

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
Hmmm ... doesn't sound like Tx issue to me ...
1) You have flown to much greater distances without any hint of problems.
2) Both planes went down in almost the same place. Coincidence?

Now, as for Rx problems ...
Did you have the same Rx in both planes? Same antenna orientation?

If not the same brand/model of Rx, are they both DSMX?

DSMX is practically invincible to outside corruption, from what I have read, except if some sophisticated deliberate jamming were employed. That is highly unlikely, even if the army was doing its thing to the west of us, in the DoD practice area.  If they were both DSM2, well then there is a chance that something bounced them (DSM2 only uses 2 channels, they can be close together and therefore more susceptible to interference than a frequency hopper like DSMX that uses a number of channels in its pre-determined pattern. With either of these, the chances of 2 different Rx/Tx couplings using the same subset of channels would be practically nil.

On second thought ... Flypaper suggested that you may have a loose antenna connection in the Tx. That may be the most likely cause, if you accept that the crash sites being so close is just a coincidence. Over th3 years, we have had a lot of planes go down in that region. Is it haunted?

You have a real mystery on your hands!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:25:43 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 04:46:56 PM »
It seems it is a transmitter problem.  both planes had different receivers in them. the explorer had a lemon stabilizer with remote receiver. the mini buckle had a dsmx dual antenna system. 

PS I did a range check and it barely worked at 30 meters..all controls very sluggish.. I will pull the trasmitter apart and check the antenna connections and then send it to horizon through the store for evaluation.

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
Thanks to Mike at Leading Edge, I have sent my DX9 back to Horizon with a description of the incidents.  Hopefully they will find a problem......