Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Huckowe'en !  (Read 136 times)

rucoy, Flypaper 2 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Huckowe'en !
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:48:02 AM »
This is the original posting, done in late summer. Meanwhile, things are happening! See the following posts to catch up. Go to the referenced site out at RCCANUCKS where it all happens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is the possibility of having a Hucking event at KRCM, perhaps as early as this October. No Club effort required, just agreement to invite these folks to show up. Here is the initial proposal, submitted in RCCANUCKS for consideration:

A couple of us down here in Kingston have wondered what it would take to entice some of you folks to come out to our field and show your stuff. Dan and I have talked about this for awhile now.

As we already have 4 major Fun Fly events during the June through September time frame, and since we fly all year around (at least some of us do!), there could be opportunities for you folks when you might otherwise be without a flying field. With the aforementioned events, for which we provide a canteen (and a dinner for 2 of them), the usual small group of our volunteers get pretty well tapped out, so my thinking is that this would have to be a really informal, BYO-whatever sort of thing. (We have BBQ's and picnic tables, porta-potty, etc.)

Some of you know our field, our facilities and many of our Members quite well. (Dan mostly grew up out here, Trevor shows up at the Giant Scale event each year, Colin usually joins his Dad at the Fathers Day Fun Fly, and there may be others from "away", as well.)

The kind of flying that gets done at the HuckFest is very different from what the vast majority of our 100 or so Members have seen, let alone get involved in. Having something happen here could change that for the better.

One of our fellows, Brad, has become rather keen and has fallen in with your sorry little lot, I see, and he might be a good coordinator to help get something going.

I have bounced the idea off of a few of our more active Members, but have not made any proposal to the Club itself. My initial proposal would be that our Club need not lift a finger for this to happen, just allow use of the field and encourage one and all to come. As at Orillia and elsewhere, the Hucksters would put on their own event, and others could still fly, as well. We have lots of camping facilities, as well as good nearby motels and eateries.

Of course, we would love to see any of you at any time, you do not need a special invitation or event to get you out here!

Aside: Thirty years ago, we hosted our first IMAA (Giant Scale) meet. Yes, it involved a lot of work, as we supplied a dinner, etc.. Then, some (25?) years ago, our first Electric Meet took place. For the first number of years, this was organized and operated pretty much by Martin Irvine, with he and his wife cooking hot dogs - the only significant Club involvement was to grant exclusive use of the field for that one day. As time passed, this became more popular, the Club provided a canteen and took ownership for the event. Martin still is the organizer, the rest of us are his support team. Could a Hucking event follow this pattern?

Check out this thread:
http://rccanucks.com/showthread.php?2073-The-Great-Canadian-Huckfest-2017/page39
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:50:50 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hucking Event at KRCM?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »
It's ON!   8)  ;D  ;D   ;D   ;D

Here is the official thread for our HUCKOWE'EN

http://rccanucks.com/showthread.php?2185-Huckowee-en
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:21:27 PM by Deerslayer »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
You will note out at the officlal Huckowe'en location in RCCANUCKS that this thing is really gathering steam. There will be some rather impressive airplanes and flyers showing up that weekend.

I would like to note that one of our newest Members is responsible for getting a couple of us thinking seriously about doing something this Fall. That would be Thomas - thank you, Sir! A couple of things just seemed to catch fire from that initial spark. (A butterfly flaps his wings in Tokyo, leading to ...)

Online Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »
Wow well done guys, looking forward to it.  ;D ;D ;D
In dog beers I've only had one

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »
Awesome, that something came of the idea. I'll try to be out with some form of silly costume on.
PM if you have any questions or concerns or just want to say hi!

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Super Video
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »
Matt McGuire's latest video, one of a number posted out in RCCANUCKS, is perhaps the best I have seen. It really does show what the Orillia site is like, what the Great Canadian Huckfest was like and most important ... the quality of pilots, flying and videography that we can expect when these folks show up in just a little over 2 weeks from now!

https://youtu.be/dndWc7D9s-A