Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Lesson for the day; Do not perform "touch and go's" at high speed.  (Read 71 times)

Offline General Malarky

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Lesson for the day; Do not perform "touch and go's" at high speed.
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:40:18 PM »
So, while out flying today, I finally found a reason to upgrade the Fun Cub's landing gear assembly.

Was playing around with the Fun Cub, throwing at around in the wind and doing "high speed" low passes. For the most part, it was a pretty smooth refresher, having not flown in weeks. Of course, that was until my last flight. While doing a low pass, I was fighting turbulence along the vertical axis and the gust died as I was pushing down and dropped the last foot to the runway. The PLANE kept going, flying fairly well, albeit with less drag and weight under the cockpit. That was because the landing gear was bouncing along the runway, having pulled out of the fuselage completely. I managed to bring the plane around and belly-land it (better, I think, than some of my wheeled landings), collected the plane and landing gear then turned around and hand-launched the Cub to finish my time for the flight.

We all had a great laugh about it and now I have a (very good) reason to use that reinforced landing gear assembly for Fun Cubs that has been floating around the club for a while, now.

I wish I had some footage, as I am laughing just thinking and writing about it.

On a more positive note; cleaned that old Fox motor up and finally got around to testing it, today. Seems to run, at least. Now to get a battery pack, castor oil and hook up a receiver and see if the servos still work at all. But yeah, it was nice to get the motor running and a big thanks to everyone who had a hand in getting it started.
PM if you have any questions or concerns or just want to say hi!