Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Video and Stills Posting Tips  (Read 66 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Video and Stills Posting Tips
« on: September 15, 2017, 06:21:06 AM »
This will pull together and replace a couple of items which may be of help to someone trying to figure out how to post their product.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:01:43 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Posting Videos
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:22:42 AM »
Here is what I do, using YouTube:
1. Prepare and save your video on your computer (I save as MP4, other packages should also work).
2. Log into your YouTube.com account (set one up if you don't already have one, it is free)
3. There is an UPLOAD button near the top righthand corner. Click it.
4. Drag and drop your video into the YouTube box, as suggested.

You will see a progress indicator. The process will take  long time, e.g., perhaps an hour or more for a sort, 2 or 3 minutes, video. You will see the progress, sort of like watching concrete dry.

In one of my limited number of uploads, the system said it detected some camera shake and offered to try to correct it. Nothing to lose, so I agreed. I really cannot say where it fixed something, nor did I care to spend a lot of time looking.

When it has finished all of its work, you will see a PUBLISH button appear. Click it. If you want, you can restrict it to specific viewers only. I have not done that.

Pick up the URL that the system presents and paste into whatever you wish - a Forum, an Email, etc.

Suggestion: I try to remember to put       KRCM -     at the beginning of the title, which seems like a good standard for any of us who post stuff that is related to our Club flying.

Best Practice: Whatever you do, e.g., include a video link onto a posting on a Forum, take the time to go to that location and click the link to ensure that it works as expected.

NOTE: Reg uses Vimeo instead of YouTube. I have never looked into that, I only use YouTube because I tried it once and it seems to work well enough for me. Perhaps Reg will comment on Vimeo. The end result will be the same - you get a URL to paste somewhere.
Modify message
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:02:20 AM by Deerslayer »

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Posting Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »
Perhaps we can help folks successfully and easily post pictures.

There are probably a number of ways, and tools, to accomplish the primary task, i.e., compressing the picture so that it uploads/downloads in reasonable time and within the allowable sized for a specfic Forum.

I use a freebie (at least it was when I picked it up a few years ago) which will take anything that is in a specific Folder and resize it to whatever you wish, placing the output into a suitable location (I leave it as c:\My JPEGs). Unlike so much "free" software, this seems not to limit your use, nor does it have an expiry date, nor does it continuously pester you for an upgrade or money ...

The Simple way (at least to me) is to Copy the pictures you intend to post into some temporary Folder on your desktop, then invoke JPEG Resizer and point it to that Folder. When you have finished uploading the resultinf compressed pictures, go back and clear out the My JPEG Folder.

The KRCM Forum package has a limit on the number of Attachments (pictures, usually) per post. If you have more than that number, and you really do want to post them, simply note in your first post that there are more to come and upload them in the next post.

Here is the package I am talking about, at one of its download loactions:

http://www.brothersoft.com/jpeg-resizer-3357.html

I hope that others will supply further tips, other packages or techniques, etc., in here.

Note: The most important thing you can do with a picture is to COMPOSE it properly. Many times, what may have been a great photo is merely a dull or uninspiring or confusing "snapshot". Yet, if you look at it more closely and critically, it may be worth saving, even ending up as something to be very proud of. This is the great thing about digital photography! Take the time, consider re-cropping, adjustment of brightness and/or contrast and even some hacking to remove some unwanted item (like someone's foot in the foreground of an otherwise beautiful and creative picture). High resolution cameras leave little excuse for not doing some artful "dodging" of pictures, without losing definition. Zooming in on an aerial shot during post-processing with Photoshop can sometimes produce spectacular results. Remember, always keep the perspective - an aircraft is just a blob in a blue sky, but if you can include some trees or other ground-based objects, it may make all the difference.
(Remember: Do as I SAY, not as I DO )

Offline Penguie

• View Profile
Re: Video and Stills Posting Tips
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »
If you have a capable camera you can shoot your picture in a high res jpg and raw format. Then you can look at all your images readily in the jpg and have decent unedited ones to post etc and if you want to do any editing you have the full image in the raw (nef) file