Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Steaming Dents Out Of Foam  (Read 27 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Steaming Dents Out Of Foam
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »
This is a technique which I have been using. I even thought that I had invented it! On several recent occasions, I heard folks asking for advice about this.
I came across this write-up, with pictures, and thought that it would be useful to post here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2959717-Steaming-dents-out-of-foam

Addendum:

In cases where there is some major damage, say, near the leading edge of a glider wing, you may not be able to completely heal it using this technique. You may even have had to splice in a chunk of foam and then try to conform the repair to desired shape. I had to do such a repair on a large foam sailplane canopy after it popped off and encountered the prop on its way out.

Light spackling compound is your friend! It weighs very little, can be  thinned with water as needed, applied in layers and easily sanded. Give it lots of time to thoroughly dry, don't try to build up huge globs as once, especially if you have mixed any water in. Overnight is a perfect cure time. After sanding, you can paint over it, and the surrounding area, if you wish. My canopy was a real mess, but after repairing and painting (several coats of brushed on water-based acrylic craft paint), it is very hard to tell that it was ever damaged.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others