Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Microwing  (Read 401 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Deerslayer

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 769
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Microwing
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »
 This little mashup shows some test fights of Gary's MicroWing. This cool little machine costs next to nothing in time, effort or cash  to build and flies exceptionally well. Within this video are a couple of demos of my (original idea?) lawn chair launch technique. (I am working on doing lawn chair landings in the near future, hopefully of the non-destructive kind. Please stay tuned!)
 I am building another one at this time, because ... ? Who needs an excuse, when you are having fun, eh!

 Thanks again to Wilf and Harold for the video assistance.

https://youtu.be/gm3MQvbkkPo
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online Deerslayer

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 769
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Armchair Landings
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:45 AM »
As long as there is a tad of wind, my recently developed Armchair Takeoffs of certain airplanes. like the MicorWing and the Black Widow. work out quite well. Perhaps 95% success rate with no damage and only embarrassment involved in the remaining 5
%.

This is a great way for those of us who are aged, or lazy or both - or just like having fun! Sort of in the Flypaper tradition of flying toys?

The landing so far has been the usual grounder. But, this means you have to walk over, bend down and pick the thing up - very tiring! Or, you could fly it into yourself to catch it (best done with flying wings having rear props, for obvious reasons).

The next step, which I have been mulling over for awhile now, is to complete the project by perfecting Armchair Landing.  This involves either having two armchairs, one for takeoff and one for landing, or possibly having someone re-orient the launching chair subsequent to the launch so that its back is now to the wind. Oh, what the heck, I may be able to do that by myself.

This should be a simple technique (he says), so why hasn't anyone done it before? Rhetorical question, I know of at least one answer, which involved the mental state of the pile-it involved.


Aside:
Some 30 years ago, I used to slope fly rc gliders off the southwest side of Fort Henry hill. Stand at the top, give it a push into the wind and begin to slope soar, often way out over and above RMC. The most interesting part of the flight was the landing. I would come around in a pattern which brought the plane back into wind behind my launch station and heading toward me, at perhaps 4 feet above ground and minimum control speed. As it reaches you, pull up slightly to reduce speed and climb slightly above your head, then just reach up and catch it. If you misjudge, push the nose down, keep flying ahead and catch the ridge lift again. Easy peasy! You get to do as many practice catches as you wish.

I think that Armchair Landings will bring me back full circle to something that I had enjoyed in a long past but never forgotten part of my RC life. (A time in which I knew a LOT less about it all than I do now - and that isn't saying very much!).

Next good flying day, with video to share, I hope.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:32:57 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others