Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: RIP Gord  (Read 188 times)

Online Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
RIP Gord
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »
I guess you all know by now, our good friend and fellow flyer Gord flypaper Clifford has gone to the great toy ground in the sky. God speed my friend you will be greatly missed!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:06:09 AM by Dwayne »
In dog beers I've only had one

Offline J_Lee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Gord
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:46:54 AM »
Oh man...terrible news...  I couldn't begin to count the amount of knowledge he's passed on to us members.  He'll be greatly missed for sure.

Jason

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Gord
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »
Gord Clifford was not my good friend ...

Gord was my GREAT friend! I would like to share some thoughts with anyone who knew him and who might care to read on.

My son Dan and I met him about 30 years ago, when we first joined KRCM. This unique fellow seemed to live on Pepsi and cigarettes and repaired small engines for a living and also for a hobby. Interesting character!  Later on, we learned that he was one of the 6 flyers who had pooled resources to purchase "our" flying field.

Perhaps twenty years or so ago, he retired from his full-time job as a mechanic and general fixer-up of things mechanical so that he could spend his waking hours messing around with model airplanes. A lot of his energy transferred over to working continuously, often physically, to make our club better. He also gave up smoking, so apparently it was down to Pepsi for sustenance. On very rare occasions, such as at a Fun Fly, we might catch him eating a hot dog!

Some may not realize the extent to which Gord read, and retained, anything related to aviation. During our many sessions of hangar flying, I was amazed and impressed with his extensive knowledge. Apparently he had a large collection of old aviation books and you almost thought that he knew many of the famous pilots.

Very early on, we realized that this guy probably had forgotten more about engines and a few other mechanical things than most of us could ever expect to learn. When anyone encountered seemingly insurmountable problems with an engine, the folks in our Club had a standard response, "Go ask Gordy". Success rate? Pretty close to 100%, in my view.   

The very first "giant scale" airplanes started to appear about thirty years ago, usually powered by converted chainsaw engines and the like. Gord was always on hand to help and sometimes to modify those beasts for model use. I have known him to take on a wicked repair job, spend long hours repairing and debugging and then return a nice working unit to a grateful owner. No charge!

During my time at KRCM, hundreds of individuals have belonged to this Club. It would be hard to name someone who Gord had not helped. He was especially good with younger or new participants, having great patience and skills at imparting advice and knowledge. Some of us owe a lot to him.

I saw dozens (hundreds?) of Gord's flying machines. I rarely saw a store-bought one that, right out of the box, he hadn't taken the knife to, saw or glue gun to bring it up to his standards. He just could not leave things alone!

He really came into his own when he discovered the magic of electric power, foamboard and hot glue. Ideas quickly became wonderful things. He is famous for his many UFOs (Unusual/Unidentifiable Flying Objects). Most of them flew, many flew incredibly well and provided hours of entertainment for himself and others. Great times were had, as Flypaper performed, while the hoots and hollers poured forth from the Peanut Gallery. I think he enjoyed this as much as anything else in his days at the field.

Gord was well into his 81st year. In the past, certain things that he had done or had happen to him he would refer to as being "a hundred years ago". After awhile, it made you wonder - could he really have been ...? Nah ...

Today, I went out to our flying field and put up a flight. I thought about Gord. I did not go out there to mourn him but I did miss his company. I was doing exactly what he was able to do for the best part of his life and what he would want us all to do. Carpe Diem!

Gord "Flypaper" Clifford. He was one of a kind. I sure am going to miss him. When someone asks a tough question, I will no longer be able to say, "Ask Gordy". We are on our own now. Thanks for your time, Gord!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:44:17 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online chickadee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 08:10:43 PM »
KRCM has lost a outstanding member.With Gord's passing has also created a void that will be with us members for a long time. The club field was his second home. We will all miss him.  Rest in Peace my Friend.           John
Gravity knows your limitations

Online Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:03:28 AM »
Thanks Gary, I remember when I told him I might build a twin scale job for a control line contest, he showed up the next day with some engines and gave them to me free, my twin 4 stroke was worked on and tuned by Gord,and of course all the foamies that so many of us fly now, he touched so many of us, yes he was one of a kind.
In dog beers I've only had one

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Gord - Obituary
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 08:52:57 AM »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
Here are a few pictures I dug up from recent years. I may have more from long ago, I hope, and will post them.

Others are strongly encouraged to post their pictures!

At this sad time, we have to remember and fondly recall what he got from his hobby. Don't be afraid to laugh.  He got a great deal of pleasure from bringing smiles to others' faces - some of his flying contraptions sure did!

Online gt48

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »
Whenever Gord would pull up to the field I would smile inside and maybe stay a little longer than I planned. If he was there when I pulled up I would think "I hope Gord is staying for awhile".

Offline cicopo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »
I'm sorry to read this sad news. I don't think I met him but read a lot of his messages at RC Canada & always found them informative & friendly.

Larry