Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Head Tracker - Part 1  (Read 273 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Head Tracker - Part 1
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:23:17 AM »
Where's your head at, Boy!?

Haven't we all heard that? Well, some of us may have, perhaps on more than one occasion!

Wilf and I bought HeadTracker modules from SmartFPV. These units originally were designed by Dennis Frie and have a complete DIY writeup  and a very popular forum in rcgroups. This  company has prompt and efficient tech support, a real bonus for some of us.

We are learning and experimenting now. What is this and how does it work?

The module contains accelerometers and magnetometers for the three axes. These are monitored by an Arduino. Its output is a PCM pulse train that provides commands to up to 3 channels within the stream that will eventually emerge from the rc transmitter.

The unit is cabled to the Trainer port on the Tx. Whenever you select the Student mode via a switch, the HT is in control of whichever channel(s) you had selected. If you de-select, the affected  channel(s) are immediately returned to neutral and control is relinquished to the Tx.

So, the idea is to mount the HT on the FPV goggles or helmet. Then, you connect your aircraft's camera moving servos to one or more channels - normally, for Pan and possibly for Tilt, although Roll may be of use in some situations. 

When head tracking is enabled, the camera will follow your head movements. It's that simple. You get more of the feel of actually being in thr aircraft while flying, as well as being able to do ground ground obstacle checks while taxiing under the hood. Nice,

Well, there can be a lot more to it, but that gets us started!

Meanwhile, I have another HT on order, to serve as a spare as well as for another, unconventional use of thr technology, or perhaps to pass along to someone else who may become interested in trying out this stuff. I will put a little writeup in here as my "secret project" progresses, warts and all.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others