Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Spektrum/JR and the NEW - DSMX Discussion  (Read 6307 times)

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Spektrum/JR and the NEW - DSMX Discussion
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
Here is one of the best DSMX explanations that I have come across.  They keep indicating that this upgrade will not be necessary for most of us.  I have placed an order already for the update.  The new RX that I will need to buy will be going in my airplanes that I will be flying at events with lots of other pilots like the IMAA meet.  For everyday flying with my fellow flyers at the M,W,F days I will be sticking with DSM2.  I lucked out in that I have a JR12XMV which means I only have to send in the Tx module not the whole radio.  I can honestly say that in hundreds of flights with my JR/Spektrum stuff over the last few years I have never had one single hit.

Let's not turn this thread into a brand war.  I really don't give a damn what the users of Futaba and Hitec think about Spektrum and JR.  Be happy with what you are happy with.  Period.

A bit long but worth listening to:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12438824

Here is a list of the new Receivers:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Products/airReceivers.aspx

The DX10 is going to be available in N.A.  I want one!

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM2800US
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:46:14 PM by cloudniner »

Flypaper 2

Re: Spektrum/JR and the NEW - DSMX Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
My DX8 is ready for it but the download won't be out till the 10th of the month. Apparently the AR8000 rcvr already has it installed. I hope it fixes the problem with the indoor BNF systems.

Gord.

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »
Hi Gord

This Rx is in stock already.  http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR600   $59

I looks like they will have a receiver for your foamy stuff by mid February using the new DSMX.  $49

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR6115
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:47:00 PM by cloudniner »

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
  • Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »
Just recieved the following email from Spektrum

I've downloaded the new firmware and will be loading it into my DX8 later today.

Hello Spektrum Community,

AirWare v2.0 is now available for download on the community site! https://community.spektrumrc.com/

Version 2.00
Software Upgrades
• DSMX is enabled.
• DSMX/DSM2 bind mode is now shown on the main screen immediately to the
right of the Spektrum logo.
• DSMX/DSM2 mode selectable on the Frame Rate screen. Note that a DSMX
receiver is necessary for DSMX operation.
• Added support for new Telemetry sensors Airspeed, Altitude, and PowerBox.
• Receiver Voltage is now shown on the Min/Max screen.
• Telemetry menu is now a scrolling list, to improve ease of use as the number of
possible sensors increases.
• When setting the Flight Pack Voltage alarms, you can easily set the alarm points
based upon LiPo cell count, then tweak them to your preference.
• The low-level SD interface is updated to improve compatibility with PC’s.
• Mix and Gear switches can now be used in mixing functions to have the active
position either 0 or 1. These are named Mix-0/Mix-1 and Gear-0/Gear-1. The “1”
option is the same as the old Mix or Gear option, as the mix function was
previously active in position 1.
• The Timer Setup screen now hides information which is not related to the
selected timer mode.
• In Elevon wing types, the Flap System is enabled, providing the flap function on
Aux 1 and enabling proper elevator compensation. In this mode, the Aux1
channel would typically be used either as a drag brake or a spoiler.
• The Serial Number screen now includes an EXPORT function to make it simpler
to enter the serial number when registering a new radio.
Software Corrections
• Mix Switch – The Mix Switch was sometimes treated as a 3-position switch.
• Mode-Change Recalibration – When changing between Mode 1 and Mode 2,
the throttle and elevator sticks were calibrated to different tolerances than during
factory calibration.
• Telemetry Alarming – Corrected problem with multiple alarms on main voltage
sensor inter-acting with one another.

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »
Here is a description of how they "pulled off the stunt with the 75 or so T-28's"  Bottom line is with DSM2 (80 / 2) forty IS THE RECOMMENDED LIMIT.

"Does DSM2 constantly transmit or transmit in short lower footprint bursts also? I recall seeing a Spektrum/JR add a few years ago showing a system test with some 60-70 radios on at the same time exceeding the spectral limit in the manual of 40. The only way I see this possible is if each radio only transmitted in short bursts allowing unintelligent "time sharing" of saturated channels. Where is my logic flawed here?See More

There were tests and adverts with 40 radios. We do not advocate the use of more than 40 systems, in fact when it was demonstrated during the mass t-28 launch at Joe Nall 2 years ago, it was clearly stated by the organizer of that “stunt” (Robert Vess), that the collective group was operating outside the manufacturer’s design limits. All 2.4 systems transmit in bursts." 

So it was between the bursts of 2.4 from all the transmitters that the T-28 were gaining some control.  This was a stunt that sent out a very wrong message in my mind.  Certainly not the way I would want to fly my aircraft.  I guess if you are flying a cheapo foamy then who cares.  But if the manufacture indicates a limit of forty then their should be a limit of forty!  How one controls this limit at an event like Joe Nall, who knows maybe impounding of 2.4 should be considered or have all DSM2 convert to DSMX at these events.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:19:14 PM by cloudniner »

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:07:43 AM »
Gord

I have a couple of questions.  Have you loaded the new software into the DX-8?  If so did you bind it with the AR8000?  What I would like to know is, does the display on the DX-8 show the mode as being DSMX?  Just wondering how one tells which mode you are in, as I can't seem to find the answer on the web.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:19:31 AM by cloudniner »

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spektrum/JR and the NEW - DSMX Discussion
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
It's supposed to tell you on the main screen. I can try later today and post results

Flypaper 2

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:14:18 AM »
I have the earlier updates but not the  x version yet. The trans sits on the shelf till they fix the problems. The #2 update had problems so now they have a 2.1 now. I asked Andy Kunz, one of the programmers for the radio, whether they fixed the bind problem with the BNFs and he said no. Last time I was out at the field a couple of monthe ago, my Zoombi was flying fine when everything just shut off. Never had that problem for the last 3 yrs. with the DX7, so it's back in the new DX7. I'll wait till they get it fixed before I'll trust it like the 7. You guys going to the funfly tomorrow.?? If your going Shawn, I'll bring some of those bamboo blind sticks. I have a lifetime supply. ;D

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
OK....just confirmed.
When using the AR8000 that comes with the DX8, it does display DSMX in the top right corner when bound to the radio.
Nice...

Wish I could make it tomorrow but the wife and I are heading up to Niagra Falls for a few days.

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »
Shaggy

That's great, thanks for checking it out.  I was never any good at keeping track of things.  I have 26 receivers that I am about to do a mix and match with DSM2 and DSMX, I was hoping I could tell which was which without taking things in the A/C apart.

Rick

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 06:45:33 AM »
FYI

The Horizon site now indicates that the DSMX upgrade is in stock as of March 2.  I placed the order and it went through okay.  I did not look at all the TX ugrades just the one for my 12X.

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 07:44:01 AM »
I guess I am stuck in the hanger for a bit as my 12X module is off to Horizon as of Monday March 14th.  Interesting to see what the turn around will be.  They sent me a UPS mailing label in the mail which is prepaid well one pays for it in the end.

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »
I got my JR12X module back today and got to try out the binding with a couple of DSMX receivers.  First it looks like I will have to re-bind all 19 receivers I have.  There is a sticker on the back of the module with a big 'X' on it, but other than that there is no other visible change.  No indication on the screen as to what mode the Tx is in.
The first thing I noticed is the speed at which the blue light comes on now.  It is almost instantaneous, whereas before it could take a few seconds.  The big change I see is the time it takes for the Rx lights to come back on after the Tx is turned off and back on.  It is less than a second much quicker than before.  Was it worth the cost, don't know and probably will never now for flying at our field.  I doubt if I will ever go to an event like Joe Nall but I will feel better if I decide to.

Flypaper 2

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
Hi Rick: I don't know if it will help or not, as I have the DX8, but if I scroll in the deeper programming to FRAME RATE it shows DSMX after Rolly installed it for me. For a test I plugged in the Twist rcvr. which is the AR 8000 and DSMX. On the screen top left corner of the flying screen, shows the Spektrum logo graph bars, which shows the rcvr is sending the signal back to the trans. I saw that mentioned on RC Groups  As soon as I unplugged the rcvr, the graph disappeared. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:08:03 PM by Flypaper 2 »

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »
Hi Gord
The JR12XMV that I have doesn't display the DSMX icon.  It stays as DSM2.  They say that the only way to tell is the speed at which the Rx will link up and the speed at which the Tx starts transmitting.  The link up and blue light on my Tx are now almost instantaneous.  Can't believe how fast the Rx links back up when the Tx is cycled.  I imagine all the new Tx's from Spektrum and JR will have the icon show up.
I wanted to go to Toledo and check out the new DX10 but couldn't go this year.  I used to like flying with my tray type Tx back in the past.