Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Pizza Box Combat  (Read 6909 times)

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Pizza Box Combat
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:02:12 PM »
 Thought I would make this a separate build subject to keep from cluttering. :DShawn seemed interested so we'll give it a go. Sorry I'm late getting started as I didn't realize my drafting was so rusty. Here's a drawing I made up as I don't know how to do computer drafting. We wanted to keep this on more or less limited power to keep it on a level playing ground. The 15 gram blue wonder is what I have on mine, a little smaller than the popular 24 gram one. The HK # is HYM2211-1700. Works great on 2 cells and is an animal on 3 ;D 430 to 600 ma work great on an 8-4 EP prop. Servos are HXT500 and ESC is Turnigy Plush 10 amp. Use whatever you like in this respect. Remember lightweight means more maneuverability. Foam is the #store stuff at $1.25 a sheet 20 by 30 ins. While your there get some paper remover called First Force Oxy. It's great glass cleaner to. Smear it over the paper and it will peel right off. Actually the paper weighs as much as the foam. For hinges I use 3M Micropore from any medical supply store. About 3 bucks a roll for a lifetime supply........almost. I use 1/32 ply for control horns. I'll make a drawing for the landing gear wire bend.  I'll answer questions as they come. Fuselage shapes can be of any fighter plane your heart desires.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:11:02 AM by Deerslayer »
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
  • Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee.....
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza Box Combat
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
Hmmm......I think I have most of those parts in the basement.
Combat here I come!

Offline J_Lee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 05:21:13 PM »
If anyone needs these or any other drawings blown up to size...I look after a whack of big-arse printers at work... I can print stuff out to 42" wide by however long ya want it...colour too if ya like...

Jason

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
Do you mean I have to turn in my crayons Jason :'( Here's a website with some plans for the bigger outdoor combat jobs that we can get some ideas for fuses and paint jobs. If this takes off maybe we can get some of these going for outside next yr. The one I fly out at the field is a lightweight version of these with the Blue Wonder bigger 24 gram motor. I'll take a pic of the landing gear tomorrow as it has to be bent and tied to the plywood base with dental floss before it's attached to the foam.

.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012551
Gord

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »
Here's a couple of videos that should turn your crank. ;D It is as much fun as it looks.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64039
Gord

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »
Here's a little bit of a build of a new Pbox P47 Thunderbolt for combat. You can see the doubler on the bottom and the rod on the leading edge. The elevon has the Elapor tape on it and a bit of hotglue on each end to strengthen it up. Both the wing and the elevon have the taper at the hinge line for lots of throw. To glue the doubler, I use contact cement called Beacon Craftform Glue. You only need to put it on one surface. For the doubler, I smeared  a thin layer on the bottom with a popsicle stick, let it dry for about 15 mins and align it perfectly, as once you put it on you don't get it off. Not sure whether I got the glue from Leading Edge or Michaels. Any questions just yell ;D
  How are you doing with yours Shawn??
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:18:29 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
Just got back from Boston so I will start work on mine this week.
so the next bid decision is....full contact or streamer combat???

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
OK..main parts cut out.
doubler and carbon glued into place
profile cut out and decorated as well
just have to attach elevons
and add some electronics

I should have this ready by the time my radio gets back from horizon

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
Jeez your fast. I just got the fuselage glued on. This thing of flying gets in the way of getting things built. Was out all day and just got back an hr. ago. Was thinking of putting a smaller fuse. bottom on the underside to give it a little fatter fuse. Just thinking of it. May be able to do those flat 180 deg. turns in its own length without rolling out. Nice part is if it doesn't work, you can always cut it off. This is going to be the thunderbolt paint job.Streamers or not, will both will require hot glue. :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:21:48 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »
I was thinking the same thing with the fuse.  Maybe add just a 3 inch wide piece down the bottom.  I figure that will give me more rudder to play with as well.

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
Here's my fat P47. Just heading down to the Dollar Store to pick up some of their high quality paint brushes. If they don't have any I'll pick up a high quality tooth brush. ;D
Gord

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »
Here's a couple of videos that should turn your crank. ;D It is as much fun as it looks.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64039

Almost makes me think about going electric :(

Must resist ....

Assimilate, assimilate .... anihilate ... dominate ...

OK, enough of that. Now, when are you guys going to get serious and stake out a time for Combat? Say, Sundays at "high noon"?   It's all very nice to talk about it, and post pretty pictures (not to mention the high tech engineering drawings that Mr. Flypaper offers), but the proof is in the fighting. This is just what we need to perk things up in the Club.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
I'm going as fast as I can :'( Couldn't find a brush so I grabbed the nearest whisk broom. It'll look great at a 1000 ft. :DTrying our best to suck you in Gary ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:26:35 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
Getting there......quick question Gord.
Where do you set your centre of gravity??

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »
I wouldnt go back any further than 4 3/4 from the leading edge. Another thing I forgot about is puttling Doculam film on about the front 4 in. of the wing. Not important but it gives a little more strength at the front when it gets wacked. That's not IF it gets wacked  :o
Gord