Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Levin's Science Fair Project  (Read 219 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Levin's Science Fair Project
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:04:31 AM »
Some of you may know Levin, a.k.a. Flight Kid.

Apart from hanging out with us and flying, he leads a very challenging academic life. Recently, he participated in the regional Science Fair at Duncan Macarthur Hall.

Harold and I were privileged to obtain a sit-down VIP visit with Levin at his display. We were unable to stump him with our questions; he really does know what he is talking about!

Levin's project was the laser CNC system which he designed, built, programmed and documented. His dad helped with the cutting of the wooden components and perhaps in the de-bugging associated electronics, but L learned/utilized the GRBL programming language and all of the other associated technological aspects. The device works, although he was not allowed to activate the laser at the Fair, due to safety requirements, quite understandable, even though he currently has only a 5mw or such laser from a CD drive. He plans to purchase a higher powered laser and be able to cut foam for ... guess what ... flying machines!

I suggested that he bring his travelling road show out the to field sometime this summer (perhaps at the FDFF) and display it.

Harold and I were really impressed with the tremendous efforts and variety of projects at the Science Fair. We walked away feeling really positive about those who will be the future Engineers and Scientists and leaders. Great work and Good Luck to all of them!

Perhaps our guy will choose to comment in here, with more explanation, if he ever gets some time!

Meanwhile, here are a few pictures taken at the event.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:45:20 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others