Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Levin's Hotts  (Read 32 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Levin's Hotts
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »
Harold and Levin have been at it again! They dug out what is claimed to be a Hotts sport airplane from way back in time, cleaned it up and fitted a new ASP .46 engine.

Back some 30 years ago, the Hotts was  at the top of the heap of fun flyers. Dan Santich designed the original one, followed by the Hotts II (two) and Midwest kitted it as one of their superb Success Series offerings. I had one of those and it was the most enjoyable kit I ever built, before or afterward. It was a terrific flyer and I would love to find on of those original kits to build again.

There were many variations of the Hotts that were created over the years, several of which even showed up in our Club. Giant scale, intermediate, biplane, SPAD, foamy, too many to recall.

This particular plane most be scratch built, as i has foam sheeted wings, no plywood sides or turtle deck and its fuselage shape differs from the angular slab facets of the original Hotts. The wing tips do not have the end plates which were very critical to taming the behaviour of the original Hotts II. But, who cares, let's call it a Hotts and see how it flies!

I was pleased to take it for the test flight. Wow! this thing really rocks and brings back some memories! After a quick try, I cranked in about 50% expo on the Ailerons and Elevator, eventually bumping it up to 60% on both after we did the second flight. We called it quits, as the wind was howling. I left Levin with a couple of suggestions, such as relocating the battery to move the C of G further back.

As this was the first flight for this plane and engine, in our hands, and it was a very windy and gusty day, I did the takeoff and the eventual landing. Levin took over in the air, once we got a bit familiar with it. He will have to be very careful, as it is a step change from the average airplane that scoots around these days but he is very capable of handing it. 
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others