Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: FPV Startup Information and Ideas  (Read 860 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
FPV Startup Information and Ideas
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »
A couple of us have decided to give FPV a whirl. After extensive research (I can blame Roger if the results don't follow exactly!), we are trying the Headplay headset  from GETFPV and the Mobius adapter from Hobby King, since we both already have those cameras. Here are a few links which I have found interesting and useful:

FPV basics from Flitetest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDZpSSRQ1E

FatShark comparisons, by FliteTest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl-1n95hJRc

5.8 GHz FPV Antenna shootout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuGBgTC6ph4

HeadPlay headset:
http://www.getfpv.com/headplay-hd-fpv-headset-w-40ch-5-8ghz-raceband-receiver.html?gclid=CPeNn7ucqdACFQiOaQodGp8KSw

HeadPlay review:
http://www.fpvguy.com/2015/05/headplay-review.html

HeadPlay review by FliteTest:
http://www.flitetest.com/articles/headplay-hd-fpv-goggles

HeadPlay review by ModifiedRC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuHHYkZyOE0&app=desktop

HeadPlay owners forum:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2426308

Mobius docking station and transmitter from Hobby King:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mobius-actioncam-fpv-docking-station-with-mini-video-transmitter-5-8ghz-32ch-200mw.html

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:21:14 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: FPV
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 10:05:24 AM »
Thanks Gary!!  ;D 8)
The 70's were very good to me.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
  • Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:39:40 AM »
Gary:
I think this should be a separate category.
Also, rather than do all that research, why don't you give use a beginner's guide to the basic equipment needed.
Keep me on the list as "interested to learn", but "not necessarily committed."

Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Flypaper 2

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:30:58 PM »
  Gary, I know the weather hasn't cooperated with us lately but have you made any advances or whatever with the FPV system for yourself.??I see on RC Groups they're putting it in that new VTO type plane that LE should be getting in soon.
 I have my name on one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:34:17 PM by Flypaper 2 »

Offline Dave Lucas

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
I have both FATSHARK and EACHINE headsets.

I recommend the EACHINE.   Much bigger field of view, and no problem for folk who need glasses.

The FATSHARK have inserts if you wear glasses, but then you can't share them.

That being said, the FATSHARK have a neato video out port - you can watch the video on a TV as well as the actual goggles.

I'll bring them both to the next club meeting, so anyone who wants to can have a boo.

Dave

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FPV Progress
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
Wilf, Roger and Gary are still in the early stages of experimenting and learning. Harold is also involved and has become an avid spotter.

With the better weather starting to show up, we are into it full speed now.

Amongst the gear that we have accumulated:
  Mobius cameras, with 5.8 GHz transmitter adapters
  Foxeer and other standalone cameras
  Several 5.8 GHz transmitters
  Tiny camera+transmitter units
  HeadPlay video headsets
  LCD tablet-sized screens with integrated 5.8 GHz receivers
  A 5.8GHz receiver that plugs into Android phone or tablet, includes an excellent spectrum display
 Homemade Pan and Tilt platforms
 HeadTracker circuits to enable camera control via helmet movements

Just yesterday, we had several planes at the Toyground. Included were a couple of my $5 flying wings. Wilf and Roger each had camera+transmitter units that had not been tried yet, so we stuck some Velcro on the bottom of the and tried them out on both of my deltas. I flew the planes, the other guys used the HeadPlays and my LCD screen to get onboard. We did some range checks over a large flying distance (far enough that I almost lost on plane!). This gave good information.

When I left the Toyground, I went straight to Leading Edge and bought the same camer+transmitter unit that Wilf had.  These things are so small and simple that you need nothing more than a patch of Velcro in a suitable location on a plane and a wire pair that can go to one cell of your flight pack or any separate 3.2 to 5.5 volt source. Highl recommended!

We have not tried the HeadTrackers in flight yet ... coming soon!

As of this time, we have tried FPV on at least a dozen very different aircraft and can offer lots of free advice to anyone else that thinks this might be interesting stuff to try yet does not want to plunge into yet another expensive exercise.

Meanwhile, we carry all of our gear with us and are happy to introduce others to the fun. We can even stick a camera onto YOUR plane to try it out, if you wish.

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FPV Frequencies
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:20:11 AM »
We will probably put up a frequency board in the clubhouse sometime soon and/or in this Forum. That would help someone to "claim" a free spot and have some assurance that they will not get wiped out during a flight.

Unlike the RC 2.4GHz control systems we use, these FPV system have ZERO error-checking, do not frequency hop or otherwise prevent you losing contact or being swamped by another signal. In fact, we have found that these so-called Channels are not very precise, nor are the receivers. For instance, on various receivers, you can tell it to search for "your" video transmission and you may find it to appear in varying degrees of clarity on one or more "channels" adjacent to the actual dialed-in one from your particular transmitter. Caution is always advised.

Amongst my gear, I have a neat, cheap little receiver that plugs into the USB port of an Android phone or table. A free app called FPVdroid can search for active "channels" and you now have a great FPV viewer, including the capability of recording. One nice feature is that it displays the entire spectrum while searching for what you may want. That way, you can see what the environment is like and where your desired signal fits in.

Here is a useful write-up:

https://oscarliang.com/5-8ghz-frequency-bands-b-e-f-different-brand/

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FPV Bands and Channels
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »
I find this to be a useful depiction of the bands which may, or may not, be available to us. Although this is an Australian file, it is probably valid for us as well.

I notice that for the couple of different 5.8 GHz video transmitters that I have, their individual documentation refers to certain frequencies that may differ from others in the available options.

More to learn ... always!

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
Re: FPV Startup Information and Ideas
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »
Last summer while I was flying my racing quadcopter using FPV, another multirotor pilot turned on his machine also using an FPV transmitter.  Needless to say, his machine being closer than mine already flying, took over my googles so that I only saw his and not my own. I immediately chopped my throttle as I could no longer see where I was and let my quadcopter fall to the ground. (No damage).

I changed both band and frequency so that I am now on BAND “B” AND CHANNEL “4” which is frequency 5790 MHz.

For those who wish to deck out an airplane or quadcopter, with FPV gear for a little over $80.00 go and check out the 3 in one camera system at Leading Edge. It consists of a 600 tvl camera, built in 0 - 200 miliwatt transmitter and right hand circular polarized antenna. The whole thing can be powered by a not included 150 mah indoor type battery.

Here is a picure of it

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FPV Startup Information and Ideas
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:43 AM »
Regarding the miniature camera/transmitter which Wilf discussed:

This camera/transmitter uses 3.2 to 5.5 volt power, which gives lots of options for batteries.

This particular one, like other similar ones, may be intended to run from a small capacity single cell battery. However, that battery is unlikely to operate the system for more than, say, 5 minutes and is therefore a poor way to power it .

We make a cable which will plug into the camera's connector and then into the balance port of a LiPo. That way, one can be in operation on any plane by simply having a small patch of hook-side Velcro stuck wherever you want the camera to mount and having access to a battery -  we normally use the LiPo that powers the aircraft.

In the case of using your LiPo, the cable  connects to any 2 adjacent wires on the balance plug. As the cells are connected in series,  the voltage will be that of 1 cell, right in the required range. Note: you MUST get the polarity correct!

The very small current draw will not unbalance the LiPo.

So, if you want to try this out on your own aircraft, just ask one of us. We even supply the Velcro! And we have several varieties of the receiving and viewing equipment.