Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Debbie Gary - an Airshow Super Star  (Read 14 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Debbie Gary - an Airshow Super Star
« on: September 08, 2018, 07:09:03 PM »
I came across a reference to Debbie Gary recently. I have a very minor connection to her and thought I might mention a bit about her.

Who is she? A great lady, a top notch airshow performer and, for a brief time, one of my gliding instructors!

Back in 1972, as I was learning to fly gliders, a friend and I read an article in Flying magazine about Sugarbush Soaring over in Vermont and its two female instructers - Debbie Gary and Holly McAllister. Well, this was too interesting to pass up, so we took a week of vacation, hopped in my Datsun 240Z and set out. I was not yet at solo stage, Ray had been flying solo for about a year.  We had a great time, lots of flying,
 I soloed on flight #23 (my 6th one down there). I even managed to get a flight in the mountain wave later in the week. I can remember the entire week like it was yesterday.

I had a couple of flights with Debbie Gary. We watched her giving aerobatic instruction in a Citabria on several occasions, as well as flying a Pitts Special. An amazing talent!

Fast forward to the big airshow in Kingston in 1990. One of the performances was by the Ray-Bans sponsored team of Pitts Specials. Surprise! One of the pilots was Debbie Gary. I talked to her briefly, confirmed that she was who I thought she was and she recalled her early days of instructing at John Macone's Sugarbush Soaring.

Debbie has won many awards for her flying and other achievements in aviation. As well, she has instructed some of the best aerobatic pilots in the world - Sean Tucker being one of them!

This is a great video that you may enjoy. Listen for some of the names that show up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zREw4HmyCCo&feature=youtu.be
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others