Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: FPV Video - 9 SEP 2018  (Read 40 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
FPV Video - 9 SEP 2018
« on: September 11, 2018, 09:47:11 AM »
This short video shows flying FPV with the assistance of the Eagle Tree Vector flight controller/stablizer.

https://youtu.be/PD9J8yYc-B4

Discussion:

There are a great many parameters, modes and display options available with the Vector. I have this particular aircraft set up to use five Vector Modes. plus OFF. Depending upon which DX9 Flight Mode is enabled, the desired Vector Mode is then selected via one of two switches on the transmitter. In Flight Mode 1, Switch E selects OFF, GYRO or LOITER; in Flight Mode 2, Switch F selects OFF, RTH TEST or WAYPOINT. Of course, Bitchin' Betty announces switch positions, in addition to the OSD presenting the actual Vector Mode.

Return To Home (RTH) will automatically be triggered if the Lemon receiver goes into Failsafe due to a loss of signal. I have tested this on several occasions by turning off the DX9; the aircraft climbs or descends to the pre-programmed altitude and returns to Home, then proceeds to climb or descend to a pre-selected altitude and circles about Home until .. forever, or it regains signal or the battery runs down!

RTH is interesting. The Vector only sees Receiver PCM outputs, it is unaware of the 2.4 GHz reception. How does it figure out that we have lost control contact? The receiver has been set such that, upon loss of signal, it drives the Throttle channel down to -130% or such. This low value cannot occur in normal flight, since the Throttle Travel is +100%,-100% and Trim is disabled (=0), as with all my electric aircraft. So the Vector goes into RTH. Much fun the first time, as you switch off the transmitter and watch as the aircraft changes direction and heads back Home, circles around like a pet dawg and waits for you to turn the box back on! It works!

In Loiter Mode, the aircraft immediately enters a pre-set circle of approximately 60 foot radius and maintains altitude, until it is released from Loiter, or ... well, you know ...

The OSD (On Screen Display) has many options, involving which items can be displayed and where on the screen each will appear. You can even set it up to present alternate displays during flight. I am still playing around with different combinations and appearances.

There are 2D and 3D Modes, with or without Heading Hold. I have used them but neither are currently set up for this plane. I use OFF, GYRO, LOITER, RTH Test and WAYPOINT, with the latter being to perform the stored Mission.

Apart from the 2 DX9 Flight Modes, each of which enables a specif switch to associated control Vector Modes and perhaps some other Mixes, I have the TOGA (Take Off / Go Around) Mode.

In TOGA, the Vector can be either OFF or in GYRO Mode, while the Throttle Stick is now used to manipulate Flaperons/Spoilerons (and a highly exponential Throttle Curve in its lower travel. Sort of a "partial Crow", as the plane has no flaps. Being a floater, this enables steep climbouts and high angle approaches for excellent short field performance, especially in rough conditions.

At any time, I can Tilt the camera via a transmitter Knob (not particularly useful) or detach the Rudder control and use the Rudder Stick movement to Pan the camera.

This aircraft uses 10 Mixes and 3 Flight Modes on the DX9, plus 5 Vector Modes. Lots of neat stuff!

The camera is a Foxeer Monster, with something like a 135 degree field of view. As a result, there is a major fisheye effect. Also, everything looks more distant and smaller than normal. This is typical of FPV cameras. You just have to get used to it.

The camera feed is merged with the Vector display and the combined video is transmitted at 5.8 GHz. The range is much less than the 2.4 GHz used by our radio control systems, and has no error correction. this video was recorded by the ground station - an Eachine 7 inch screen receiver with internal DVR. As such, the quality is fairly low, starting at 750p and degrading during transmission. It gets particularly poor if the aircraft is directly above the receiver or if it approaches cloud or the increasingly humid air that exists well below cloudbase.

The various aspects of the Vector can be set up via USB connection to a PC, using ET-supplied software. One can also download and display flight logs, even combining the GPS traces into Google earth. As well, you can plan an install a GPS-based mission with various Waypoints, cruising altitudes, specific actions to be taken at various Waypoints, and RTH. I have done this, and it is an amazing capability. Given a suitable camera, such as Mobius, that can record internally at high definition, pointed at a suitable angle, this can be an excellent mapper or searcher. Fly a grid, analyze the video in real time or later. My next FPV-specific plane will be set up with the FPV camera for piloting plus the Mobius for high quality recording. I may do that with the Penguin, as soon as I  "get around to it"!

Some production notes:

I am a fan of cheap and free stuff!

After much experimenting, I have discovered an excellent Open Source video editor called OpenShot.

I use VLC, a free video viewer that has some additional capabilities. One is the ability to repair and/or convert some video raw feeds. The Eachine DVP, like many cameras and other video devices, can create a .AVI file. Frequently, VLC sees a problem with a source file and unlike MovieMaker or many other programs, it doesn't just give up; rather, it fixes up the file, if possible and you can subsequently view it and Export as .MP4 file which OpenShot likes.

The audio was created by Audacity, a superb Open Source audio capturing/editing system. I record, edit and then Export the audio as a .WAV file which OpenShot can integrate with the video track.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 03:18:32 PM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
Re: FPV Video - 9 SEP 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »
That was a great video Gary.  The information displayed was excellent.  To bad we can’t figure how to turn off the foxeer OSD. The vector certainly puts the old system to shame. Your added commentary was well done.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:23:32 PM by Wilf »