Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: SPADs over KRCM  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
SPADs over KRCM
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
I sense that there is growing enthusiasm in our Club regarding SPADs. It is heart-warming to see a classic SPA3D being launched, plus some other planes coming along.

Rather than continuing the now misleading Topic "Coro-Junkers", perhaps this is a better place to highlight what is under construction, or flying.

To whet your appetite for SPADding, here is a terrific YouTube from this year's SPADFEST:

Here is a fantastic YouTube
SPADFEST 2011 - Part 1

The Fokker D.VII in the video really caught my eye - that aircraft is a superb flyer at any size, well worth considering building. I had a .25-size Coroplast one, it was a wonderful flyer. It was one of the Combay designs popular in the SW Ontario area, particularly at the Cobble Hills Fighter Group.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SPADs over KRCM
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »
Jeff, this shows what you WILL be able to do with your SPA3D! Believe me:
SF-2011 Part 2

jsarson

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
I think it might be spad 4 or 5 before I can do that.  I am now looking in my box of junk for any servos. the standard ones might take a better beating. I will have to see what the weather brings as for Sunday. 

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:38 PM »
I think it might be spad 4 or 5 before I can do that.  I am now looking in my box of junk for any servos. the standard ones might take a better beating. I will have to see what the weather brings as for Sunday. 

Do not worry - you will be hovering within minutes!

I offer a couple of suggestions:

Set your flaperons to give the wing some reflex - 10 degrees or so.  If you wish, Gord or Brian or  I could offer our assstance.

This is not a plane for fast flying, it is for close up, in your face, 3D work. If you have a 46 on it, get a 11x4 and a 12x4 prop. The 12x4 will probably be best. Set your engine to be a tad on the rich side, so that when you are hovering you will get a consistent fuel delivery. You will be working the throttle constantly, you want proper response and you will need to firewall it occasionally to haul ass vertically when you mess up a little. It's all good fun!

See you on Sunday, I hope.

jsarson

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »
I think it might be time to go to the field and see what a SPAD can do.

jsarson

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
Well I went to the field and the wind sock was gone.  I found it in the trees at the end of the field.  I thought about going back home, but then I remembered that I only have $25 Invested in the SPAD. That thing flies great.  I wouldn't have tried to maiden any other plane in this wind.  I had a lot of fun flying the plane backwards, and just hanging in the wind. It is just like playing with a foamy.  Gary why didn't you tell me to build one of these creations last year. They are really easy to build and you don't have to worry about smashing it because they are strong and cheap.  I can't wait for a nice day to find out what the SPA3DT is really like. Thanks Gary for pointing me in the right direction.