Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Indoor Flying  (Read 171 times)

Offline Julian

• View Profile
Indoor Flying
« on: March 06, 2019, 10:27:02 AM »
Speaking as your current Treasurer, I think we need to have a discussion about indoor flying next year. Attendance has been steadily dropping. This year the shortfall was about $800. Next year there may be no-one as generous as Leading Edge to split the bill with us. Please chime in here and give as many suggestions and opinions as possible! These are some things I suggest we should think about and discuss:

1. Is Indoor Flying simply a "service" that the club provides its members, so breaking even is less important?
2. How much are you willing to pay for that "service", especially if you didn't or won't use it?
3. What else should the club use that money for?
4. Would you be willing to commit to another season by paying part or all in advance?
5. If you DIDN'T do indoor flying, why not? Cost, times, venue location, lack of interest?
6. What WOULD bring you to indoor flying next winter?

We likely need to make a substantive decision at the next meeting, so please think about and discuss this as much as possible here before the meeting, and please come to the meeting to help your executive make the best decision. It's your club and your money!
Thanks!
Julian

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor Flying
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:42:58 PM »

As originally intended, this activity was intended to offer a service to interested Members, as well as to possibly attract new Members, without it becoming financial liability. It was generally accepted that there could be a year when it failed to break even by a minor amount, say $100 or so. If that were to happen, then the Club would review the situation. Please note in particular the relevant section which I have set in bold.

You, as Treasurer, are correctly advising the Membership that the time has come to review the activity.

Below here is the relevant section of the KRCM By-Laws which outlines the Indoor Flying operation.

Indoor Flying Account -

The Indoor Flying Coordinator must inform the Club of any safety, operational, or
financial issues which may arise, no later than at the next scheduled Club Meeting.

Indoor Flying must be a financially self-sustaining activity. Funds associated with this
activity are normally retained within the Indoor Flying Account from year to year. Money
is typically not transferred into Operations or the Contingency Fund at the end of the
Indoor session.

No long term financial obligations, such as a contractual commitment to rent a venue for
a complete season of Indoor Flying, may be undertaken without approval of the Club
Executive. There must be sufficient funds already in the Indoor Flying Account to cover all
such costs in advance.

If the longer term financial sustainability of this activity becomes of concern, the
Coordinator will work with the Executive to attempt resolution. Indoor Flying fee
increases, change of venue(s), limitation of hours, or complete cessation of the activity are
possible options. The Executive must ultimately make recommendations to the Club
membership. In the event that this activity were to be terminated, any remaining funds will
be moved into the Operations Account.

As this is a non-profit activity, any extra money at the end of the season that is not
committed to pay for the rental of the venue(s), and with agreement of the Treasurer, can
be used to lower the entrance fee to the participants on only one indoor session.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:00:43 PM »
We're a healthy club, I have no problem subsidizing indoor flying, it's fun, I get to see someone I fly with in Toronto who drives in from Belleville, for those who don't fly outside in the winter it's a great way to keep the fingers nimble and hey it's FUN!!  ;D :D :P 8)
The 70's were very good to me.

Offline Rene

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 10:23:11 AM »
We need to consider Indoor Flying as another club sponsored activity, like the Fathers day Funfly, the Electric Funfly and the Warbirds Gathering (all of which had ups and down over the years).  The only difference, is that we have to pay for a Venue to do Indoor.  That is the Problem, finding a good Venue.  Get a good Venue at reasonable price and people will come.  It all depends if you are looking at it from an club activity or from an economic perspective

Although Garry rightly quotes the By-law, if I am not mistaken, those were developed quite a while ago when we were doing Indoor flying in Thompson Drill Hall, and the situation and conditions have evolved since then  maybe the By-Law need to be looked at...

Indoor is just another aspect of this hobby, if there is interest, then there is a need

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:25:25 AM by Rene »

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
KRCM Members,

Even though we had a great time flying indoors at the Westbrook dome this year, we ended up with an $800 shortfall that was split between Leading Edge Hobbies and the club.  The question is whether or not we will pursue indoor flying for the 2019-2020 season?   

Unfortunately Tony and I will not be in a position to help with a future financial shortfall, so the Club will have to take on all the risk.

Unless we can find a new site, the following proposal seems like the best option:

1.       Reduce the number of session from eight to six.

2.       Increase the cost per person from $20 to $25.

3.       Have commitments for ten or more flyers of $150 each ($100 for JRs) before we will book the sessions for next year (cash or cheques will be collected by the treasurer by the end of March)

The management has slightly raised the price per two hour session from $407 to $420.  Therefore, the cost of six sessions would be $2,520 of which $1,500 would be covered by the memberships.  This would leave a shortfall of $1020 which require an average of 7 additional flyers to show up and pay $25 per session.

We are planning to discuss this at the next meeting on March 18th.  We thought it best to send out this email so members have a chance to think this over before it comes up at the meeting.

Another option would be to find a new (less expensive) site.  If members have any suggestions, please check into it and let us know what you find out on the 18th.

Sincerely,

Mike & Rolly

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 05:40:03 PM »
I was at the Brockville club today and asked Claude Melbourne about their indoor flying. Very  interesting.

They fly in the large (double basketball court size) gym of a local  Catholic high school. The have Sunday evenings, 6 to 9 p.m. If you think about it, schools are unlikely to have tournaments or routine practices on a Sunday evening, leaving a possible opening for other activities.

Cost?  $ZERO !

Apparently, the district school board has a mandate to offer community services. Their non-profit club thereby receives this access. There is a custodian on the premises. Claude says that the board covers this.

I asked if this is a local or regional Catholic school board policy, or is it likely to be the case in Kingston? He does not know.

Something for KRCM interested parties to investigate? Who is currently, or will be, the Indoor Coordinator (note our By-Laws)? Perhaps they could follow up on such a possibility and report back.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 05:59:18 PM by Deerslayer »

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:50:13 AM »
Members should take a look at the club meeting minutes uploaded every month, and look at our financial statements, and also remember we have some major repairs to do to the club house sooner than later.
I think we should put our efforts into finding a less expensive venue for our indoor flying members.

Indoor flying may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but if the price was right, it does attract new members.