Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Wilf's Ranger EX  (Read 219 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Wilf's Ranger EX
« on: March 22, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »
Spring has sprung, and out from the Wilf's Lair emerges a new FPV plane! This one is the Ranger EX, what we think is an ideal FPV plane. In fact, Wilf forced me to order one the day after this video was taken.

Wilf has a 4K camera mounted on a gimbal system beneath the nose. As well, he hasa Runcam mounted on top for the actual FPV piloting. Soon to be installed is the iNav Flight Controller but for the initial flights, it is just an ordinary receiver in use - one step at a time, a wise approach.

This was a great Spring flying day, albeit a bit breezy and turbulent, as you can see. The iNav will take care of that for this lightly loaded aircraft.

Enjoy:
https:/
/youtu.be/2XvwD7uASd8
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:33:16 PM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
Re: Wilf's Ranger EX
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 04:53:30 PM »
 Thanks for the great video Gary. Made me look good, my flying that is ......
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:33:29 PM by Deerslayer »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 05:00:54 PM »
Thanks for the great video Gary. Made me look good, my flying that is ......

Well, we're trying very hard to do just that!

After all, you are the one who taught little Danny and me everything we know about flying rc power planes over 30 years ago, at the Toyground. (Of course, that may not be saying much.) We's gonna have bigly fun with our Rangers, plus we will get Herman's outfit sorted out. Good times!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:33:41 PM by Deerslayer »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 03:09:22 PM »
The poney express arrived at my door this morning, with a big box tied in hand. My Ranger! Yipee ky o! The box looked like it had been dropped from a cargo plane but the contents were welll packaged and  initial inspection shows perfect condition.

This was ordered from Banggood in late March, arrived right on their predicted schedule. Unlike some places, there were no funny charges added. They gave 4 choices for shipping, three of which were over $100. The fourth option, EMS, charged  $30-something  so the choice was obvious. I had checked its web site at   ems.post  first, as it sounded too good to be true. I did decide to pay $2.50 for shipping insurance, just in case, as that seemed like a pittance anyway

As with previous orders from Banggood, I got delivery to my door and no further charges. I like these guys very much! All of their prices and charges are quoted in $CDN, so there are no surprises.

Now, to stick it together and install the Lemon Rx, Vector flight controller and the Vtx plus its camera, etc., and set out for the Toyground.

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:37:22 PM »
An update regarding my purchase of the Ranger from Banggood:

A few days after receiving the package, I finally opened it and prepared to start preparing for flight. The box had taken quite a beating in shipping but the components were well packaged and mostly shielded by bubble wrap and double layers of corrugate. To my dismay, one wing had been damaged. Narf!

It had been completely separated along the flap hinge line. Unlike some people, I maintain that molded in hinge line, breaking in the joint via a recommended technique. I can repair the break or, if that doesn't work out well, I can trim it and use alternate hinging.

Having chosen the Shipping Insurance option upon ordering ($2.50), I contacted Banggood. As usual, I received a response the next day. They were apologetic, asked for pictures of the box, the shipping labels and the damage. Then they told me they would contact their supplier to get replacement parts, again expressing concern. I should expect to hear from the supplier soon.

I waited  two weeks or so and then contacted them again. They had no luck with their supplier, it seems, and offered me a $45 refund. I thought about this for a couple of days and concluded that this would be the practical solution from both sides. So, I contacted them accordingly. Within a day, I have now received notification that they placed the refund in my Paypal. Concurrently, I received confirmation from Paypal of this refund.

There is no way that my package was damaged by the manufacturer. This must have happened during shipping and handling somewhere between their doorstep in Singapore and mine here in Canada, with no way to determine where or by whom.

This incident was unfortunate. I will be able to overcome the problem and am satisfied that Banggood has performed reasonably well. I will continue to deal with them, as I have had complete satisfaction with many past orders, as well as with one just within the past couple of weeks.

I do have a lingering question: What did the $2.50 Shipping Insurance do for me? Had I not chosen that, would Banggood have just walked away from the issue? I may send them a note, asking for an explanation of what that insurance fee really means.

With the changes underway, I/we will likely become more dependent upon remote suppliers such as Banggood. We must share the good and bad experiences in order to help each other. This disturbing event has turned out as good as I could have expected.