Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: "Tower Pro" servos, clone RC gear, etc.  (Read 265 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
"Tower Pro" servos, clone RC gear, etc.
« on: May 01, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
While making up a recent order for stuff from Banggood, I could not resist ordering a six-pack of "Tower Pro" MG90S metal gear servos for under 20$CDN. Yes, I assumed that they would be knock-offs of the well known Tower Pro servos but, you just never know, so let's order them and see what they really are.

Now, here is an article regarding these servos (written by an outfit that sells the genuine version under their own name, so I suppose there could be a slight bias). I found this to be very informative. I have concluded that, yes, the ones I bought are not the true Tower Pro servos. However, they will be OK for my immediate purposes and certainly at the price I paid! 

Our hobby is chock full of imitators, counterfeiters, whatever you may call them so you have to be aware when ordering stuff on-line, especially we lose more and more hobby shops, including our own local one. One problem we face is that original manufacturers tend to keep their prices elevated for a long time, thereby encouraging knock-offs to jump in and outsell them. On the other hand, talented developers will sometimes develop and market superior offerings and lower prices, while the original "big dogs" pound out the same old stuff at high prices and slash internal development activity while disparaging anyone who comes out with a better and/or cheaper product. More than one outfit is riding along on their popular brand name from back in "the day", while their stuff is rolling out of the very same shop as the clones.

http://vorpalrobotics.com/wiki/index.php/Tower_Pro_MG90S_Vs._Clones
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:46:27 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
  • Member of the Flypaper School of Aeronuts
    • View Profile
Re: "Tower Pro" servos, clone RC gear, etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »
Is Bangood easy to work with?
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Re: "Tower Pro" servos, clone RC gear, etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
Is Bangood easy to work with?

I have had a number of dealings with them and will continue to do so. Unlike HK, their shipping charges on most stuff is a pittance and their delivery is fast. If your order cannot be tota─║ly filled at the same time, you can elect to have partial shipment, with no further shipping charge for the delayed items. My orders have always showed up by pony express very quickly and without any handling or "other" charges.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others