Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: The Timber  (Read 281 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
The Timber
« on: May 19, 2019, 05:47:15 PM »
Until today, I had seen and admired from a slight distance, the E-flite Timber. Then , a new Member of our club showed up, no Instructor readily available, and I (selfishly, as I wanted to fly the thing!) offered to help him.

After our joint first flight, we started using the full SAFE setting. My trainee quickly became more relaxed and gained confidence rapidly. We flew in this mode for the rest of the day. It did not unduly restrict normal flying maneuvers; you could pull up quite vertical but not enough to do, say, a loop nor could you do a roll.

Note that I had removed all Expo and set things back to full control throws at the transmitter, as the receiver employs forward programming whereby expo and such is set internally. You  should leave things alone, else you are defeating part of the system. I think this basic error has lead to a lot of the bad-mouthing of these systems.

Well, as the afternoon progressed, we must have burned through close to a dozen batteries. He went from almost ready to takeoff or land, to being able to do the whole deal on his own - many times!  Different runways, crosswind situations, handling a slight wind gradient  the whole works. I only touched the controls one time, early on. Verbal instruction and comments only the rest of the time. Yes, he made mistakes, none of which scratched the airplane or would have caused great concern to anyone. I sure wish that my early days had gone half as well.

We investigated the real benefits of flaps, toward the end of the day. They  are great, he really noticed the difference in both take-offs and approaches/landings.

My "victim" is rapidly approaching achievement of his Wings.

We have to give credit to this great little airplane. In fact, I am really tempted to take out a mortage and get one! Anyone want a slightly used, never scratched, Fun Cub?

I would highly recommend the Timber as your first airplane. Or your second. Or as your all-around "go to" machine. And I haven't even tried it on the floats yet which are part of the standard package. I sure do hope that Bill shows up next Sunday at our Deseronto float fly and lets me "help" him.

Aside: This plane, like many others, comes with a flight stabilizer, the SAFE system. I have had various stabilizers, etc., in many aircraft since they first appeared on the market. I have one SAFE system in my F27 wing, and I have had them in a couple of other planes. There has often been some negative feeling about them, mostly unwarranted by fair trial. Many of us ditched the original AR635 receivers in favour of a plain receiver without stabilization. Meanwhile, some folks here and elsewhere looked down upon any stabilization systems. However, my experience matches that of many other "frequent flyers" who have used them extensively. Meanwhile, Spektrum refined their systems. The newer receivers with  AS3X capability, pre-programmed to the BNF aircraft, are great. End of sermon.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:52:29 PM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online Bill H

• KRCM Members
  • Flying Now, Crashing less often
    • View Profile
Re: The Timber
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
Thanks again Gary, today was awesome, I learned so much, you are an awesome and very knowledgable instructor, and yes, I love my Timber and everyone else that has flown it has said the same.
I think there is a very good chance that the floats will get installed and you will see me in Deseronto next Sunday.

Offline Dwayne

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:33:02 PM »
Thanks again Gary, today was awesome, I learned so much, you are an awesome and very knowledgable instructor, and yes, I love my Timber and everyone else that has flown it has said the same.
I think there is a very good chance that the floats will get installed and you will see me in Deseronto next Sunday.

Way to go Bill so glad it's working for you now.  8) ;D :D
The 70's were very good to me.

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »
So, having been egged on by Wilf, in a moment of weakness, I put a Timber on order.  Wilf talked himself into getting on, as well  - as if either one of us really need yet another flying machine!

I had not paid much attention to the Timber and had not realized that HH has several versions for sale. Wilf ordered the Turbo, I am getting the X variant. It looks like the designers have  a winner with this basic design. The venerable Fun Cub, a great plane for all occasions, may be surpassed by this family of airplanes.

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Warning - The Timber !
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 08:43:34 AM »
 There a lot of Timbers flying around these days. Mine is a Timber X and the problem I just discovered may apply to other versions, as well as other types of aircraft.

I noticed that one Aileron seemed to be a bit fluttery at certain times on the ground but had attributed it to possibly a noisy servo. Not so!

Upon closer inspection, I found the horn to be quite loose in its mount. The problem is that they use a snap-in technique to mount these, whereby a tab on the horn side passes through a slotted plate on the top side. It is supposed to click into place, securely. Mine was not inserted all the way. This could have be so right from assembly time, or it may have worked loose over time and with some rather "energetic" flying. The plane has only a few hours on it, no bad landings or such.

I could press the horn into place and lock it; however, a reasonable tug on the horn would spring it loose. This plane gets a pretty thorough workout - as do even a lot of trainers -  and this is unacceptable. Rather than changing out all 4 horns to the more conventional, and secure, bolted in versions, I decided to get out the old Flypaper Welder, a.k.a., hot glue gun and put some of the magic around the protruding tab as well as around the horn itself.

I will keep an eye on this and if the problem resurfaces, I will change out the horns for the bolt-in types. Note: the hot glue will release by applying alcohol and prying it off.

Whether you have a version of the Timber, or any other plane, it is worth taking a few seconds to checkout such potential trouble spots. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:48:08 AM by Deerslayer »

Online Terry

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 07:18:32 AM »
I GOT ONE! Picked it up yesterday, I'm going to try it out today, I Have both 3c & 4c batteries 2200s  I even picked up a bunch of lights to add for night flying wohoo

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »
Night flying ... K-Town Huck ... hmmmm ...

Good purchase, Tree D, it looked like you had the beast under good control today. I am starting to get the hang of mine also. The Timber X is a great plane, as are the other versions of this machine. Everyone should have one!

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »
More fun with this plane. I had an unused Eagle Tree Guardian, so let's plunk it into the Timber. A stabilizer is not needed for this plane but it sure is fun to employ during the gale force winds in which I dearly love to fly.

As I already had used  7 channels on my Timber X, I swapped the 7-channel receiver for a Lemon  10-channel DSMX one. This is a terrific value piece of gear, just like many other receiver that I have ordered from Lemon. It cost about $40 delivered right to my door, a week after ordering it.

The DX9 supports 9 channels, so this is a great match.
We have the usual channels for Throttle, Elevator, Rudder, Left Aileron, Right Aileron, Left Flap and Right Flap. Then, a final 2 are used for the Guardian Mode and Gain, respectively.   Total is 9 used channels.

I have set this Guardian for 3 Modes: Off, 3D Stabilization and 3D Heading Hold. It all works well, opening the flight envelope very wide.

Bring on the winds and rough stuff, we love them!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:24:57 PM by Deerslayer »

Online Bill H

• KRCM Members
  • Flying Now, Crashing less often
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 06:56:01 PM »
Very cool, thats like a Timber X ++

Offline adamb

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile