Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Queen of the Skies - the Volksplane!  (Read 48 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Queen of the Skies - the Volksplane!
« on: August 20, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
For several years now, this magnificent beauty (along with her plane) has made an appearance at the annual Giant Scale Meet at KRCM. She is also a crowd pleaser at the Kitchener-Waterloo Flying Dutchman Meet, that being near her home town.

Once again, she graced us with her presence. Here is one of the many flights she made over the course of 3 days. Spoiler alert! There is a bit of an Oops! about 3/4 of the way through this video; if you have any young children, you may wish at that time to send them away to fetch a beer, or at least cover their tender eyes. There is an amazing example of superb piloting skills, resulting in a "save" that never even mussed up the lady's hair and will only require a little "buffing out" to get the show back on the road. If you get the chance, attend the Dutchman event, the weekend after Labour Day, to see her awe that crowd, along with many other great aircraft.

https://youtu.be/5LHasiqiLj8
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:23:27 PM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Bill H

• KRCM Members
  • Not Flying, still in crashing phase
    • View Profile
Re: Queen of the Skies - the Volksplane!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:42:43 PM »
Excellent Video Gary

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 06:21:13 AM »
If anyone has the email address of the owners of the Volksplane (Dave and sons), could they please send them the link to this. I had asked Dave for permission to post  a video and he approved, so they might as well see it.

Offline Terry

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:19:03 AM »
I cant believe you caught that Gary, Good Job. I'm Glad It's fixable, They're such nice people.

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »
Here is a little war story that somewhat explains my fondness of the Volksplane:

Back in 1973, I was on the Glider Instructor Course at the Gatineau Gliding Club, which operates from their WW1 era Pendleton airport east of Ottawa. There I met Jim Laing, another Glider Pilot on the course, who was a Tow Pilot as well as being  licenced Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME). Very talented fellow, a great guy overall.

Jim built a Volksplane in his living room. He even carved the beautiful prop. A cute little plane, it was registered as C-GUPY. It was a great flyer but, due to its rather squat stance, it had a very small Angle of Incidence on the ground. That meant that it seemed to need a bit of a bounce to increase the Angle of Attack of the wings and thereby get things airborne. Not a problem at Pendleton, as their runways were rather ripply and the V just scooted along until the right mix of airspeed and bounce flung it into the air!

Several years later, Jim showed up at Gananoque Airport on a good soaring day. After some socializing, I had launched in my Cherokee 2 glider and was beginning to catch some lift. As I circled at perhaps 3000' height near the active runway, Jim started his takeoff run in the Volksplane. I thought he was never going to get flying but eventually the little beast lifted off and came up to see me.

Jim started to circle to my outside, I caught good lift and proceeded to out-climb him even as he had that VW powerhouse cranked to full power - really "waxed his tail", as they say! At some point, he wagged his wings and headed back to Ottawa or thereabouts. He  may not have remembered that event, but I always will.

Many years later, while attending our MAAC Zone AGM, I was taken by surprise as I saw C-GUPY over along the wall of the National Aviation Museum. I heard that Jim had donated it. Sounds like something he would have done!

So, whenever I see what I call the Queen of the Skies being flown by Dave and his boys, it brings back fond memories. Folks who build and fly Volksplanes, whether big or small ones, are #1 in my books.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:21:18 PM by Deerslayer »

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »
Great video work Gary, and great editing. An excellent job of a sad occasion.