Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Hints and Kinks  (Read 5584 times)

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Hints and Kinks
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »
As you know I like to experiment with the foamies as they are quick to build and economical to repair, or replace if you goof up. One of my bibles for models is "BASICS OF R/C MODEL AIRCRAFT DESIGN" by Andy Lennon, worldwide renown for aerodynamics in RC models. He is a Canuck who passed away only a few yrs ago. It's where I get my parameters for my own designs. The book is published bu Model Airplane News and should be able to order at one of the book stores. Being a retired old phart I have to do things economically, that means I'm cheap ;D I've found the $store foam a good way to go as if it don't work, you haven't lost a lot. One of the secrets is, keep it light with brute power on the front. They go hand in hand, as the lighter you make it, the less power you need. I try not to add any bracing, carbon fibre, wire, bamboo,etc until I find I need it. Sometimes it's best left a little flexible so it can bend instead of shatter in a dork in, especially on that cement floor :-[ Only three things need to be strong, the motor mount, the wing mount, and the landing gear mount. The rest is built as light as possible as long as it can stand the air loads.
        I'm starting to build  a monoplane using the Catsass bipe fuselage and wing, so I'll try to do a build along to see the sequence I go through.
  P.S. I hope you guys ask questions just to let me know you're interestedUnder the message, there's a green reply button. Press that, and a box appears where you can type your message. Hit the send button and we're yappin ;)

Gord.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:30:59 AM by Deerslayer »
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
  • Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee.....
    • View Profile
Re: Hints and Kinks
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »
What is the best way to remove the paper from the $ store foam??

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
I use windex. I spray it on then spread it around with my fingers. By the time you get through spreading it,the paper is ready to peel off. Lift it at a corner and it will lif off easily. Tomorrow Ill put up some pics that show how to leave the front paper on for strength.
Gord

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:01:43 PM »
What decided the lines of this plane is, I like the smooth, esthetic lines of the planes of the 30s. After I keep drawing the lines of the plane I like till I'm satisfied ( I use a pencil and eraser to change things), Then I cut it out and transfer it to Bristol Board as a permanent pattern. Some things that are not noticeable are, I draw a centreline/thrust line where all the lines are measured from. You'll notice, there is as much fuselage area above the centrline as below. This is so the lift in knifedge flight is equal on the upper and lower halfs of the fuselage so it doesn't roll out on you. Also why I put the wing at the centreline of the fuselage. Also with that area at the front of the fuse. helps with the lift. Sort of like making a bigger wing to get more lift. You'll also notice there's as much rudder area below the centreline as above. Ever notice on some planes, when you give hard rudder, it will roll out of the turn instead of being a flat turn. Got the wings and fuse cut out of the $foam. You can see where I left the paper on the front 1/4 of the wing to act as a stiff skin. The little black thing is what I use to cut through the paper without cutting into the foam, weakening it. Made by Master Airscrew and called a balsa stripper, used to cut say, capstrips of a certain width, out of a wide sheet of balsa.
P.S I need a name for this bird. Gimme a hint guys. Something with the word cat in it Whose ever name I pick, gets a free flight. Not that it's a big prize.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:27:47 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »
How about  Fritz? (Remember that great movie, Fritz the Cat?)

Or, Fraidy  (as in fraidie cat, a term we used to hurl at each other in our street urchin days)

Or, Kool (Kat, but we have to see if it at least flies before giving it a lofty name like that)

Or, Scat (as in what you find in the woods that is left behind by animals, and may be appropriate if your contraption doesn't work out so well)
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

goldguy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:44 AM »
The name game........

I know these forms are supposed to be free of politics, but how about Cat-ciatore?

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »
What's that Frank, an Italian cat? ;D ;D
Gord

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
"Das-Kitty" 

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
That would be cool Shawn. Paint some crosses on it and put Sylvester in the drivers seat with one of those helmets with the spike on it. ;D ;D
Gord

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
That would be cool Shawn. Paint some crosses on it and put Sylvester in the drivers seat with one of those helmets with the spike on it. ;D ;D

That would be too funny  :)

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 07:54:24 AM »
Sylvester in the drivers seat with one of those helmets with the spike

Maybe something like this???

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »
Great Shawn . Was going to Google for a sylvester to paint a helmet on and here it is on our own website. That's a perfect size. Could you do a miror image for me? I don't have a program to do it. I owe you another beer. ;D Thanks a million.

Gord.
Gord

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
Like dis????

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »
 Das ist goot. ;D Your a lifesaver Shawn . This is going to look great on that DR1 as well . ;D I use that decal paper from Staples for this kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:07:52 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
You could also use "Shrinky Dink"
I'm sure you're old enough to remember that stuff too    ;D

The sell it at Micheals, for an inkjet printer.
Just print, cut, then bake in the oven and you end up with a little plastic version.