Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building Gord's Pizza box  (Read 5504 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Building Gord's Pizza box
« on: October 31, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »
Hi guys:
Starting a new thread, the other one was too long, but there is a lot of info and photos. Gord and I thought we should follow my build to see if we could generate interest and record the answers to all my dumb questions. as you can see from the attached, I have cut out the main parts according to Gord's drawing on thread1. Now I need to cut out the body. Gord, what do you think of my P51 cartoon attached? I'll cut along the centreline and attach the bottom part as per your instructions. Have I got too much tail? (oops) the end of the elevons is at the first short vertical mark.
Haven't got any contact cement so am trying carpenter glue on a test sample.
Reg
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:09:21 AM by Deerslayer »
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Re: Building Gord's Pizza box
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »
Hi Reg:Your pics are a little big. Maybe drop them down to 640by480 or 137 KB Just to make them easier to see. I'd drop the centreline at the front to just below the spinner. This will allow you ro see the full spinner and the motor will be just below the spinner. The firewall is 1/16 aircraft plywood or 1/8 in. liteply. The wire gear is attached to the ply landing gear mount with dental floss and CA as you can see, then hot glue it to the bottom of the box.. For painting I use that water base paint that you can get at the dollar store that comes in the little yellow plastic bottles. I thin it out with water and put it on with a sponge. Looks OK at 20 ft. A broom doesn't cut it. :D  Sorry I'm a little slow Reg.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:04:00 PM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »
Reg aksed me about lining up the fuselage to the frame. I draw a centreline front to back , then measure on either side of the line half the thickness of the foam and just put a dot on the foam. Then hotglue or epoxy between the dots. Some like to slot to parts for alignment but I think it weakens the structure to much. Just my take on it. Any questions are welcome. They benefit everyone.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »
Gord:
These photos and info are great. I'll cut the photo size down, I should know better.
Thanks,
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »
Actually I rebuilding the P40 that Rolly beat the snot out of. He's going to have to put kill marking on his Bug ::) I'm about to glue the bottom of the fuse on and here's the markings I use for alignment. I should have the P47 and the P40 to beat up on him next time ;D
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »
Gord:
That looks good.Maybe we can gang up on Rolly. I'll be the decoy and you hit him.
I've got a bunch more questions:

1 The firewall looks to be about1.5 by 1.5 inches, right? Or bigger?
2 I noticed you put in some foam gussets to support the firewall - will do
3 Your photos don't seem to show the split carbon rod behind the doubler, did you stop that?
4 What glue do you use for the carbon rod up front?
5 I bevelled the elevator 45 each side, do you also bevel the body?
6 I can't quite see what your control rods are made of.

Tomorrow I hope to put this sucker together. Thanks for all the help
Reg
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:15:15 PM by ganguy »

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
I need all the help I can get against Rolly help, help. ;D
 The firewall measures 1 1/4 in. sq. but bigger won't hurt. The gussets really help for strength. The P47 has the strip behind the doubler but I want to see if I can get the P40 a little lighter.so I left it off. I can put it on later if it doesn't work. Hot glue on the carbon rod across front. I groove out the foam a bit to set the rod into it a bit for a little more strength. I bevel the elev a bit more than 45 deg, probably 55. I don't bevel the body but it wouldn't hurt. Better to much throw than not enough. ;) I use bamboo skewers with the wire bound to it with good old dental floss and CA  or hearshrink with the ends CAd. I put a small kink on the inner end of the wire just so it can't slide endways in the CA/heatshrink.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 06:08:10 AM »
Gord:
That is great! Thanks so much. After I deal with a bothersome client today, I'm going to get my head down and, finish it. I may not do the paint scheme before Sunday, but you never know!
When this is all done maybe we should do up a full parts and materials list with dimensions so that people don't have to pester you so much. Or maybe we should put together some kits!
Thanks again,
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 06:19:11 AM »
With the one I'm working on, the paint goes on last. After all when Roll takes a slice out of it I'd have to paint it anyway :P
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:26:40 AM »
I hear you!
BTW, marine heat shrink has an adhesive coating inside so that moisture can't get in.Once on, it sticks like crazy.  I've got some and it might save a little work. Looks like I'm back to the $ store for skewers.
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 06:32:35 AM »
Where do you get the sticky heatshrink Reg.??Small carbon rods work well if you have some. 1 to 1.5 mm or 1/16 in would work fine. Sometimes I'll use plastic drinking straw about an in. long for guides, if there's too much flex.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:37:38 AM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 06:57:01 AM »
You should be able to get it at Westmarine  Princess St at Bath Road. Here's a pic. I'm still using stock from my Caribbean cruising days!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:00:25 AM by ganguy »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 07:17:29 AM »
On that last photo of the P40 bottom, it looks like the LG wood support is sticking out, whereas the drawing shows the front of it lining up with the foam, maybe its just the perspective? I think I bought piano wire too small, should be springy!
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »
Yeah" that was a kind of a Mickey Mouse job cutting it off the old frame to the new one. The firewall was well attached to the top and I didn't want to cut it loose.so I let it hang over the top. You weren't supposed to see that LOL  A pic way up above shows the original frame the way it should be.The gear wire I use is 1/16 piano wire.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
Having a hell of a time finding an adhesive locally that works with this foam - I can't get to the craft store and I need to get on with it so I am going to try epoxy next. Gorrilla glue worked on a sample, but it would have to be well clamped.