Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building the micro Lazy Bee  (Read 11534 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Building the micro Lazy Bee
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »
I thought I'd better start a new thread for tisi project. I need something slower than the pizza box to fly in the "medium" sessions at the drill hall. Here is one link to the model. Will the guys at LE know what a 9 gram motor is?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557203&highlight=lazi+bee+foam+plan
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Building the micro Lazy Bee
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 07:22:48 AM »
Keep goin' !

This should be a cure little fella, lots of fun on wings. As for suspension, did you consider just using rubber bands instead of springs, cut them to make loops of the correct size and CA the overlapped ends? Part of the appeal to the Lazy Bee and all of its many variants has been the way they sort of bounce/waddle while taxiing along the ground; of course,  your little e-plane will probably not be doing much of that, as it will likely have about "0" feet take-off and landing distances. Oh, well ...
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 08:17:16 AM »
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5358__18_11_2000kv_Micro_Brushless_Outrunner_10g_.html
Here's one of the ones I use about that size Reg.  Maybe you could print it out to get the specs and take it to LE and see if they can match it up. This one is better for the indoor stuff. Maybe you could extend the wings out to 20 ins. to get a little more wing area. Wing loading is everything on these little farts. ;D
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »
Deerslayer and Flypaper2
Yeah, I'm not going into that detail with the wheels/suspension, I'll do something simpleI've only got 1 week to get this thing airborne. I'm going to use the $store foam, unless you think Depron would be better. What's the best glue for this foam? I'm going to shape the wing so there will be a bunch of airfoil shapes to attach.

Gord, thanks for the link.  I will scale it up to 20 inches, just the wings? Some of the designs have over 50inch WS!
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:27:49 AM »
Yep, just the wings would be fine. I use good old hot glue on the foam. You don't need much. Some guys use a household pastry roller to get the airfoil shape. Those mickey Mouse plywood wheels may work or that pool noodle foam works good.I used them on this thing  OOPS, Messed up on the pics. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:33:14 AM by Flypaper 2 »
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
Yeah, I like the noodle foam idea.
Back to finishing the Wills trainer - turning out to be more work than I bargained for. Hope to get a photo out tomorrow. My job is interfering with my hob.
Reg

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »
I fail to see the problem ... get your priorities right ... ditch the job and get a-buildin' ! No more excuses.

See you and your new toy on Sunday at the field ... or else ...!

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »
I'll be there even if only with the Cub, providing that the winds are below gale force!
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
Gord:
Here we go! I still need an upper and bottom plate and a nose plug.
 I tried rolling foam, didn't work too well so I tried heat and that came out a lot better. No info on dihedral and I'm trying to figure a way to transition from one curved surface to the other sounds like a knife and hot glue job. Also, looks like a trip to LE tomorrow! I've been trying to give that up.
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
Lookin good Reg. What does it use for formers and firewall??
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:11:16 PM »
Not much info, just some photos, looks like foam formers and a thin ply firewall. I think I have to slap it together and learn as i go. I've figured out how to camber the wing evenly, and do the wingtips. The dihedral looks like 20 degrees on one model, larger on others. Fun with foam! I should be a lot further tomorrow night.
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »
That's why I enjoy building from scratch. you never know what it's going to really look like till your finished and you can add you own little bit of imagination to it.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 06:57:19 AM »
My imagination has taken me to the point of my incomptence. I'm making a mess out of the control rods/horns. I might get it solved today, but Sunday flying is looking unlikely for me. (And the Lazy Bee)
I'm still smarting over the crash.
Reg

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 07:19:25 AM »
Don't let the occasional occurrence of uncontrolled vertical descent bother you too much. A lot of folks have been there - never happened to me, of course  ;)   

There always is an alternative ... take up golf or something  ;D   But, be careful if you do - more people are killed each year on golf courses than by lightning or sharks. Then, there are others who are killed by their spouse in retribution for wasting too much time playing that dastardly Scottish game! (I played during some of my high school years, as I lived about 200 yards from a 9-hole course that cost me $15 a year to play. I finally gave up on golf ... unfortunately, it had given up on me several years previously, but then I always was a bit slow on the uptake. From where I was whacking that damned ball into the sand, I could see the local beach and that was where all the chicks were   :(  Comet to think of it,  I guess I really was even slower than slow to catch on and re-adjust my priorities. )

I saw your little sorta-Mustang Gordy-plane fly, and it looked like you were having fun. Perhaps not quite as much as Mr. Flypaper himself does, but then no one else ever reaches that level (some sort of Zen state, perhaps?)   8)

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
I'll be out there today to keep poking my planes in the air to see how long I can keep them there before they fall down out of the air. ;D In other words, how long before crashing and dragging out the invaluable hot glue gun. ;D
Gord