KRCM

Author Topic: 3D ...  (Read 788 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
3D ...
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:02:48 AM »
 ... NO, it's not what you think it is (flying models), it's the highly disruptive technology that has been developed in the last very few years.

It is 3D Printing.

If you search the topic, you will find a lot of information; here is a good starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing

It does not take much imagination to see where one could print out model aircraft, or parts thereof.

Here is an excellent video that shows how it works.

Printing a Giant Wrench with a 3D Printer

There are commercial, industrial-grade 3D printers on the market for as low as $2000. There are also some smaller units coming out in the $500 range. As well, there are places where you can send your 3D rendering as a file and they will mail you the completed part. An increasing range of materials is becoming available for manufacture.

It wasn't very long ago that laser-cutting was new to our hobby; the idea that someone could have a laser cutter in their personal hangar was way off in the future. Pretty soon, 3D printers will be sitting in the shop of someone close to you!

How long will it be until someone shows up at Indoor with a 3D-printer model! Brian, are you listening ...?

Hmmm ... I must see if Digigrahics has a 3D printer.

One of the most intriguing ideas I have seen, which is being actively worked on, is associated with planetary exploration. Instead of having to build a cumbersome structure, break it down, protect it during launch and landing with weighty packaging materials and structures, hope that it survives and then see if it still works, someday they may be able to put a ruggedized 3D printer on board along with a container of print material and have it build the object after it arrives. IF something breaks later on, just re-print the damaged component.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Ian

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
3D ...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »
Lol Gary it's already arrived ..
Check out this YouTube video
3d laser sintering to build and fly an RC foamy!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:11:41 AM by Ian »
trying to keep all my crashes virtual

Offline Ian

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
3D ...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »
And one more 3d printed RC plane article from wired magazine

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/11/3d-printed-autonomous-airplane/all/
trying to keep all my crashes virtual