Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building the micro Lazy Bee  (Read 10934 times)

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Re: Building the micro Lazy Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
Hey Reg. Bring the Pitts and your P box out the the field today and we'll figure out the ails if you like. Do a bit of flying and fixing at the same time.
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
I'll be out there today to keep poking my planes in the air to see how long I can keep them there before they fall down out of the air. ;D In other words, how long before crashing and dragging out the invaluable hot glue gun. ;D

From what I have seen of the Flypaper Air Farce, some of them (like that Zoombi contraption that I flew the other day) has had so many dates with the old glue gun, it's getting near time to move on to more advanced (alien, perhaps?) technology to keep it aloft. Once upon a time, the gliding club to which I belonged had a privately-owned glider that other Pilots said depended upon the termites holding hands to avoid total disintegration. Fly's Zoombi reminds me of that :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 02:33:44 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »
Gord:
Sorry, I was in Toronto yesterday, just got back. Looks like I'm grounded for a while. I hope to make the indoor fly, but the micro bee might not be ready.  The more I look at the variety of foamy plans the more I think that is a great direction to take, for me anyway. I like the build as much as the flying.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »
Oops!  It looks like either: a) I was wrong, or b) I shamed Fly!

The infamous Zoombi reappeared at the field today with a major structural upgrade. The whole thing no longer flexes like a snake in heat. It still looks pretty much the same, but some strategic reinforcing seems to have taken place.

Now, that little gyro stabilizer thingie has something to work with. (Pilot/Mechanic Flypaper seemed to be surprised at how well things are working now - can you believe that?)

As for what may have transpired since my comment earlier today, well, he either fired up his phasar, set it to Stun and re-hot-glued something along the fuselage, or perhaps he set it to Kill and smoked the termites, then waited until rigor mortis set upon them and thus locked the whole assembly into a secure formation. Who would know! Anyway, it was once again polluting the friendly skies of KRCM country. What a guy.

Outstanding!
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 07:41:11 AM »
Gord:
Regarding the motor on the Bee that wouldn't run, is there any programming feature in the transmitter that would cause the throttle to be inoperative?
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Could be. If the throttle is not low enough, it will not arm. Try putting the throttle trim to the bottom. If it still doesn't work, try going to the lower throttle endpoint and go towards the 125% point. When it arms, you'll hear the motor give some beeping noises.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »
Turns out, it is the ESC. I tried another, and the motor ran fine, backwards and forwards! I'll have to take it back. Very disappointing, I'll have to find a place to test the Bee out, I don't want to wait 2 weeks. Thanks,
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 08:14:45 AM »
Bring them out today and we'll give them another go. I'll even remember to bring my trans. ;D
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
Gord:
I missed your message today, looks like I'm out of action for a while. Got nothing flyable.  I managed to crash the Pitts in the back seat of my car, so it looks like crap and has never been off the ground.
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 06:36:21 AM »
So I thought - I've still got  the helicopter! You guessed it, broke the swash plate trying to adjust it. The Watts Air Force is totally US (unserviceable)

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 07:24:05 AM »
Now you know why I buy hot glue by the case Reg. ;D  L.E. may have a swash plate.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
It would have to be a micro hot glue gun for this break!
Sean thinks they have it. I'm going downstairs to see if I can finish up the Lazy Bee, then find a wall to fly it into.
Reg

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
When I find myself flying/ pushing  to hard and having a few close calls, I tell myself to back off a bit and just do figure eight's, touch and goes, fly around and relax, etc. What happened to the P box?
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
Crashed it in a vertical dive. Almost a write-off. I am easing off, I think I am forgetting too much of what I learned, and the intervals between flying are too great. Take a look at Lazy Bee, ready to fly (no paint yet)

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 03:58:48 PM »
Looks great Reg. ;D  Looks likes the weather is going to be the pitts for a while Bummer. :(
Gord