Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building the micro Lazy Bee  (Read 12226 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Building the micro Lazy Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 04:39:31 PM »
Now. that Lazy Bee is just as cute as a little old bug, ain't she! Oh, wait a minute, isn't a bee a bug in Nature?

My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 07:51:37 AM »
Colour scheme suggestions?
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
Colour scheme suggestions?

How about Black and Yellow stripes? You know, sort of like a ....let me think, now .. a BEE !

Then, stick on a couple of pipe cleaners for antennae ?

Go for it ! We're watching. Lots of helpful hints and ideas from the Peanut Gallery - just don't ask us to actually do anything ...  :D
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »
Jim has posted photos of the Bee prior to its maiden "flight" yesterday. I should be able to get it back together by Sunday.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »
I got the generator running again and will be out at the field about noon. If you like, bring it with you and we'll hot glue it back together and give it another shot.
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »
Sorry I missed today, had a bunch of domestic stuff to take care of. Thanks anyway.
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 04:57:52 AM »
Gord:
I'm strengthening the wing, and offsetting the motor. Next, What do you think about covering the underside with a light film like Saran Wrap to give a flat bottom and proper airfoil shape?
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 09:12:33 AM »
Never tried that before but give it a try. I was worried about the strength of the wing. Maybe some bamboo skewers taped to the leading edge of the wing or something like that.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:36 AM »
Gord:
 I just thought that completing the airfoil might make it float like a butterfly!
I meant to strengthen it another way, I've got some carbon rod, I might use that, and I picked up a roll of hockey tape this morning on your advice. By the way, what silicone did you get at CTire?
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 01:41:19 PM »
Hi Reg: actually at slow speed, the undercambered airfoil gives more lift than the flat bottomed.
 The glue is made by Permatex and says" Clear Silicone adhesive sealant" Great for rubber hinges and won't melt the $ Store foam. Hope this helps.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 06:02:36 AM »
Wow!  That is interesting about the under-cambered wing. I'm going to do the leading edge today then hop up to the local park for a test if I can get some calm. Have adjusted the down-thrust and a bit of side-thrust. Have to make some new wheels, I can't find pool noodles anywhere.
Thanks,
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 07:31:56 AM »
I get the pool noodles and noodle board from CTC but they may have put ti away for the winter. I also use the foam packing that some electronics comes in. Very much like pool noodle but colourless. Some very high performance gliders have undecambered wings. Gary may comment on that if he so wishes ;D
Gord

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 09:04:42 AM »
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828620
 In case you get bored with nothing to do ;D Here's another one that would make a good indoor job as it would fly slower because of the lower wing loading. Great for indoors. Would work with your present motor and hardware. Big secret is keep it light. The $Store foam would work fine. Just for an experiment, I'm going to try that rubbery, pool noodle type foam between the motor mount and plane to act like a shock absorber for the indoor jobs that have a hard time hitting that cement floor. Takes some of the impact off the airframe. Wadya think??
Gord

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
They show a tiled PDF file that works well. Prints out the full sized version on about 10 sheets of computer paper. You tape them together and go at it. Saves a lot of hastles. ;D
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
Wish I had that in the beginning, would have saved me a lot of time. I tried CTC but they looked at me as though I was nuts, maybe a pool store? Anyway, I got on with it and made some wheels from a packing crate, but I didn't make them big enough. Even with the axle on the bottom, the 7-5 prop touches the ground. Looks like I have to re-tread!
Attached photo is the resurrected Bee with all the adjustments we talked about. No test flying today.
Deerslayer: If we want to inquire about using the big white dome at RMC for indoor flying, somebody has to speak to the base commander's office.