Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building the micro Lazy Bee  (Read 12224 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Building the micro Lazy Bee
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »
Right! I am astounded at that web link 40 pages of LazyBee stuff!
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
That'll keep ya busy. ;D Lots of good useful info though..
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »
Gord:
It looks cold, but sunny and calm tomorrow, any thoughts about flying? I'll have to bring the Cub, nothing else flyable.
On the BEE, all the photos show perfectly straight wings, and I have no idea how they do that. I tried rolling, no dice; the heat gun works, but its hard to keep it even. I tried to search on it but didn't get much. Maybe I need to make a mold and warp to that?
Also the winglet dihedral is 10 degrees, not 30. Some guys are using flat wings, or dihedral, which would be easier to assemble.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »
Just trying to beat down a cold, so not likely tomorrow Reg. Some of the guys are using the wing flat with a doubler at the front somewhat like the Pbox  doubler. Also you don't need the polyhedral, just dihedral in the middle of the wing. Is this the 29 in. version your building now??
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »
Ok, I'm getting kind of backed up anyway. I haven't started yet, but I am going to build the 29.5" (BlayBee) I found a video on bending the wing. But the guy was using the blue stuff, where do get that? Is it the rubbery stuff?
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
That would be a better size for the hardware that you have and uses the same motor that you have. Just overweight for the smaller plane.
   I believe it's called Fanfold Foam. I forgot whether it's a wall insulation or an underlayment for carpet. It's pretty much the stuff as what we're using but comes in a folded up long strip. I think it's available in the lower States for insulation, but not thich enough up here where we use the thicker pink and blue wall insulation foam. I was looking for a video where the guy was rolling the foam over the edge of a countertop. I remember one way was to leave the paper on one side to stiffen the top to make it stronger and not break while bending it. Once it was bent, he would then take the paper off the top.  Hope this helps Reg.
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2012, 05:53:34 PM »
Yep, it does! That countertop video was the one I saw. Looked easier than the heat gun. I'm getting addicted to the Lazy Bee, I'm up to page 32 on the RCGroups.
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »
HeyGgord, I hope your cold is better, because I went out to Grass Creek Park this morning and got up and down safely 4 times! But my hands are still frozen
I'm off to print the BlazyBee plan and cut foam.
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »
Just got back from the field. Wasn't going to go out with my cold but the weather looks like it's going to take a downturn. Coughed and weezed through a few flights anyway. As you say, it was cold on the pinkies
Gord

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking about a muff. Started the Bee, it is actually 30.5 inch WS. I need a slab of 1.5 inch for the monobloc front. Apart from that I've got everything.
Reg

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2012, 09:19:48 AM »
Gord:
Actually we should start a new thread because the Blazy Bee is what I am building and it seems to be the most popular design, around which people are making variations. On that 40-page thread, I came across a video of a guy who built an 80inch WS copy of it! It was wider than his car. But I'm sticking with the tried and true design, good for indoors or light wind outdoors. I suspect it will behave a lot like the SuperCub judging from the various videos.
Reg