Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building the BLAZY BEE  (Read 6316 times)

Online ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Building the BLAZY BEE
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »
Undaunted by the crash of the Lazy Bee, I've shelved it in favour of the 30.5" WS- Blazy Bee, the bigger brother,  which seems to be the thing to build. Looks good for indoor and fair weather outdoor. Here is a 40-page thread with plans, photos, videos:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828620
Some are scaled up (and down) but the standard is offered with tiled pdf plans. Construction has commenced!
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Re: Building the BLAZY BEE
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »
Doesn't sound good Reg. It sounds GREAT ;D
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504758
   Might be some useful infomation here for making wings Reg
Gord

Online ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:19:01 AM »
Thanks for that Gord. I'm concerned about the wing. 30.5 inches is a lot for this very thin sheet. On re-examining the LazyBee wing I built, I'm sure that warp was part of the problem, so I'm going to make some kind of jig to bend and glue this one. I haven't got through the video yet.
 I've cut all parts for Blazy except the monobloc nosefor which I just got the foam last night. I've definitely got to find a muff, my hands are killing me. Unfortunately, I'm going to be out of flying/building for about 4 days.
I got the Cub up 4 times yesterday at Grass Creek before it started to rain, it is great. I don't know why I had so much trouble in the beginning months, it seems to fly itself pretty much. Maybe it is afraid of spending another 3 months in a pine tree?
Have a good one, hope your cold is better.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
Gord:
I'm back in town, starting to build again, parts photo attached.
Why do people use the bamboo control rods with wire ends? It looks like more trouble and weight?
Don't know if I can get it airborne by Sunday. Are we on again at the drill hall?
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »
Hi Reg. I use the bamboo pushrods too. They're cheaper than carbon and do just as good a job. For stronger ones I don't use heatshrink. I use dental floss and wrap the wire/bamboo with it, then CA it. Looking really good Reg. Take your time and do a good job and enjoy the build. Not important that you get it done for Sunday.
Gord

Online ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:08:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice, as usual, you are right! I am probably stopping at LE tomorrow, if you need anything.
I am trying to get around the NiteVapor prop issue, but so far my fixes have been clumsy. Better I stay in the air!!
Reg

Online ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »
`OK, I have done a bit more, photos attached. Not cosmetically nice, the foam was too soft, and I'm still trying to master working with the Gorilla!
I'm trying to see what I need to do with the wing shape. Used your idea, but cold-rolled it, the foil is nearly right, but will it hold, or should I coax it with a bit of heat? The foam formers aren't much use, they just bend up. I think it needs a stiff leading edge, or a doubler? Not much about it on the Blazy thread.
Hope you got out today.
reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »
Sometimes, if I need a little stiffness I'll leave the paper on one side, as in maybe the formers. depends on the purpose. Sometimes I'll leave the paper on both side, but maybe only on a certain section of the foam. In other words, just using the paper to stiffen the foam where you might have to attach carbon or bamboo to do the same job ending up with the same weight. Like maybe the front 1/3 of a wing to stiffen it(acts like a spar) Another thing you can do for the leading edge, is to take a carbon rod and split it end to end like a log, with an exacto blade. You end up with a half moon shaped piece with a flat to glue to the leading edge.
   At any rate, it's looking good Reg. ;D
Gord

Online ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »
Gord:
As the paper is off the wing, I''l try the carbon rod. And make new wing formers and leave the paper on. The proper tip dihedral is 10 degrees, much less than the 30 shown somewhere else on the thread. Great ideas, back to work!
Thanks,
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
Hi Reg: I wonder if the two dihedral settings are, the 10deg may be if the wing is cut in the middle for dihedral and the 30 deg may be only for the polyhedral wings where they're only at the tips.
Gord

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »
According to post 22, the centre section is flat and the outer sections are 10 degrees or 2.09 in. dihedral.. Hope this helps
Gord

Online ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
Yep, that was the post I was working from, and there is a diagram with it. (Can you imagine me measuring that to 9/100'ths of an inch?)  The tricky part is getting the fit, I'm going to try his method on a scrap piece first.

There are so many variations of the Bee, large small, fast, slow, with all kinds of customization. Did you see the 80" WS? And a tiny one smaller than the other one I built. I am convinced that I can get that smaller one to fly.

Thanks for all your help and support over the year. It would be great if we could get some of the younger kids involved in building foamies too.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Patricia and I are spending it with my daughter, so I won't "foaming" till I get back next week. But I am taking the Cub on floats with me, just in case!
Reg

Online Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
Merry Christmas to you and your family too Reg. I spent christmas with my sisters last Sun. because my one sister will be spending her christmas with her daughter and her daughters boyfriend down in the Bahamas on his old mans 80 ft cruiser. Think I spent my last 35 yrs working at the wrong business. ;D
Gord

Online ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 07:38:51 AM »
Gord:
You can still have another turkey dinner if you like!
Ditto on the last 35 years, that is why I'm still working when I can.
All the best in 2013!
Reg