Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Ski Bungees  (Read 3412 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Ski Bungees
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:10:32 AM »

I have found this to be a simple, reliable and cheap way to mount skis so that you get flexibility and control of the "angle of dangle".

The elastic material is something I picked up at CTC or somewhere that camping supplies are sold - it is used in fibreglas tent poles. The red tubing is scrap Nyrod outer sleeve.

The bungee can be attached to the ski or its mount at a position of your choosing. Mount the other end as high up on the gear mount as you can. In my case, where I use wire gear, I clean the wire with acetone and sandpaper, then wrap the bungee attachment area with one layer of tape. As you can seen, you then use a wire tie (honk it on tight!) to secure the gear end.

The whole idea is that the ski will stay in the position you set it while airborne, yet it is flexible in either direction. As the plane sits on the ground, the bungee is stretched. If you nose over on landing, for example, the Nyrod simply bends. This setup can take lots of abuse!

Aside:
 I like skis made of Lexan (not Plexiglas, as it cracks and breaks easily) or my old friend, Coroplast (as is shown in the attached picture). The great advantage of plastic over aluminum for skis is flexibility and resistance to having snow clump and freeze on the skis. If you use Coroplast, use 2 layers, roughen the to-be-glued surfaces and clean thoroughly with acetone, then use contact cement.
 Coroplast is great for skis, as you can "biggie size" them and then cut them down right at the field if you think that they are too big. My rule about skis: Make them WIDE, Length is not as important. Overall, you are "floating" your airplane on the snow surface, as happens with a snowmobile, so the idea is to minimize the weight /surface area without ending up with Sasquatch-sized feet.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:01:19 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Flypaper 2

Re: Gary's Gadgets - Ski Bungees
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »
Don't let Gary fool you. He has a lot of great ideas, he just doesn't flaunt them like I do ;D His slidout table in the back of his truck. tiedowns for the planes, etc. I like that mini bungie maybe other uses for it. Why not one of them instead of 16 rubber bands to hold your wing on. Maybe, maybe not :-\.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
  • Member of the Flypaper School of Aeronuts
    • View Profile
Re: Gary's Gadgets - Ski Bungees
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
Gary:
Thanks -looks interesting-check out my tail-wheel post under winter flying.
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spoonskiis
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:49 AM »
Gary:
Thanks -looks interesting-check out my tail-wheel post under winter flying.
Reg

Thanks, Reg! Now, why didn't I think of the the spoonski concept years ago? Or prior to yesterday, when the tail of my Mojo 25 caught in some hardened snow during a lousy take-off and damaged the elevator. Had I been spoon-equipped, this might not have happened, but it was trivial damage - first scratch in almost one year of its operation!

I looked through our collection of plasticware and found several varieties of spoons. (I have even considered using a fork, just  so that I don't look like too much of a copycat). The clear ones that came from Walmart appear to be a bit more robust and of a better design for my purpose. I do not know if they fracture easily in the cold, so we shall learn. I still have my Hampton Inn collection, in some different shapes and sizes, for possible future consideration.

I use the entire spoon, re-forming the handle with the heat gun to make With the 2 bends, then using 2 servo screws to fasten it to the bottom of the fuse.  My new spoonski sits a bit over 1" below the tail. And, it looks unbelievably cool! 8)

OK, it's a slow day, what with all the drizzle, etc. So, to amuse others, I have attached a couple of installation pics of my spoonskiis.

The Twist 40, being an ARF has the usual tailwheel  (attached to the rudder, of course, which is a excrementable practice, IMHO). Ground bumping can put a significant force onto that whole assembly, so  chose to leave the tailwheel crap in place and add the spoonski; that way, the spoonski is very unlikely to snap in the extreme cold, as it would be cushioned by the tailwheel.

The Mojo has no tailwheel, of course. I used to have a loop of cable inside a Nyrod to serve as the tailgear. I took that off and installed the spoonski to the fuse.

I plan to keep a couple of spare spoons in the flight box, pre-bent and drilled, just in case .

If this arrangement works out for winter use, I may adopt the technique for use year round, at least on my slabs.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:38:50 AM by Deerslayer »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Narf!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »
Well, today both Flypaper and I got to try out our new Spoonskiis. Rats! They broke right away. Not much better than a Lada, methinks. You old codgers know what I'm talking about - one of you even owned one of those contraptions for a year or less. Not the Russkies finest hour of automotive design and manufacturing.

On to the next version. Perhaps I should lift some plasticware from a better class of fast food dives?

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Ski Bungees
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »
Gary:
What is Coroplast, and where can I get some? Madly trying to get my Wills trainer in the air. Check out my "Gord-mod" on my Cub Skiis!
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »
Wow! Flypaper does have a way of corrupting folks, doesn't he! The setup is too fancy for a Country Boy like me, though.

Better hurry, the snow is disappearing faster than a Senator scoop money out of the taxpayers' pockets!

Technical stuff:

You can buy Coroplast at places like Rona - usually 4' x 8' sheets.
For true SPAD folks, like Gord and me, the most important and satisfying part of building stuff is to NOT pay for the materials. Elections are generally good things, as there is an almost unlimited supply of politicians' signs that are made of Coroplast - best to wait until late at night on Election Day, or early the next morning in order to score a supply - I think that confiscating a sign prior to that time may be frowned upon.

Flypaper 2

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
Also anyone in Gan that makes signs would probably give you a hunk for a small fee.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »
Thanks guys, Im heading out to Home Hardware, they have it in stock. maybe I SHOULD MAKE ONE SIDE OF cOROPLAST, AND THE OTHER OF FOAM (JOKE!)
Reg

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
This Reply is intended to BUMP an important message. Winter is here again. Check out the first post in this section for the el cheapo idea for skis!

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »
Gary:
I beat you to it and have started putting them together, but still haven't found any Coroplast. We need a local election!
Reg