Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Flight Stabilizers  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Flight Stabilizers
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »
They're here, they're there, they're everywhere!

I set up this Topic to discuss various projects and activities in this area.

Hey, Flypaper, tell us a bit about what you've been doing in this area. I am posting some of my adventure stories.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:59:13 AM »
Attached is a write-up I regarding my initial experimentation with the Eagle Tree Guardian.

I also have a set of operational notes which may eventually be added in here.

Please refer to the WORKSHOPS Topic, The Guardian Notes, for my latest notes on working with the Guardian
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:29:58 PM by Deerslayer »

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »
I have a Workshop semi-prepared for the February Meeting. Note: I term this semi-prepared, as I cannot risk raising expectations.

This will cover flight stabilizers in general, the Eagle Tree Guardian specifically and my, and others, experiences with such stuff over the past few months here at our field. There will be hardware and demos, plus contributions from Dave Fasken (I hope).

I have some thoughts I would like to share with others on this topic, as such gear has many applications. From beginner through general port or scale flyer, to 3D, soaring, RPV or camera pilot. there is something about this stuff that could be useful to everyone.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Offline fliegerfunker

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »
Hey Gary,
I'm looking forward to this - I have nearly finished an Austrian triplane with tipperons - it might benefit from a flight stabilizer!

Martin

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »
 As I mentioned to in the Workshop at the Club Meeting, Martin's  name came to mind regarding one of the many who could benefit from this technology.

Let me be absolutely clear, this is NOT a criticism. Au contraire! Martin is the best designer and builder of complex and scale aircraft that I know, highly respected amongst his peers and any others who see his projects. He tackles some unusual projects, typically producing an exact scale model of something rather old that few have ever heard of! The fact that such a flying machine was probably a real "challenge" to fly back in its heyday meant there were often only 1 or a very few of its kind ever produced. Models normally will not fly better than their full scale counterparts, if they are created faithful to the original, and Martin tends not to cheat in his replications.

So, here may be one of the best uses of stabilizer assistance. Wild and hair-raising, wing-swinging, porpoising take-offs plus an eventual white-knuckled flare and touchdown, combined with that final "bow" when the thing tumbles ass over teakettle - those are the kind of things that the stabilizer might just be able to tame or eliminate. (Oh, wait a minute, is that me and mine that I am thinking about? )

Long before the r/c pilot can recognize some of the excursions from a normal flight, the device may be able to detect and attempt to rectify the situation.

I can think of one such machine in Martin's hangar that I am sure could be transformed. A Davis-something biplane? I hope that you give that a try, Martin. If I can help in any way, please let me know!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:36:27 AM by Deerslayer »

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:38:37 AM »
Some of you may have seen me flying this Geewhizbee I got from Coy a while ago. As you may know I have a fetish for weird planes. ::) and had to beat this away from Coy. Well, I just grabbed it and ran like he##  :D Very difficult to fly with the short span and wide chord/low aspect ratio of about 2 to 1. Deep short fuselage doesn't help, but it is cute. Was ready to take the geat out of it but thought I would try a gyro in it. Made a completely different plane out of it!! A pleasure to fly now. ;D Enabled me to crank the throws up and moved the CG way back. A fun aerobatic plane now with a bit more tweaking to do yet. If you have that mean, unstable plane your ready to dump, give it a second chance with a HK reasonably priced gyro. They are basic but do the job well. If you need a hand to set one up, give me a holler. Be glad to help out, out at the field..
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.