Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Building a Leading Edge Hobbies "EDGY 16"  (Read 1316 times)

Online Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
Building a Leading Edge Hobbies "EDGY 16"
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:21 AM »
David, my grandson, and I didn't have a plane to fly during the midsize section of the club's indoor flying session, so I went to Leading Edge Hobbies in Kingston, and purchased an "EDGY 16" and the parts needed to complete it. David had intended to build this himself, but due to school, and the fact that we were hoping to fly it at the next indoor session, I volunteered to build it for him. (I should actually say assemble, because all of the work has really already been done for you.) The kit comes in a nice plastic bag with all of the parts beautifully laser cut, including the foam and ply wood pieces. Even the slots for the wing and fuselage stiffeners hae been laser cut for you. The landing gear wire has been pre-assembled into the motor mount, and the ply wheels have already been laminated together. I am not going to go over every step of this build as they are pretty clearly laid out on the double sided single page instruction sheet.  I will let the series of labelled photos I took during the build/assembly speak for themselves.  What you will need to complete this kit is a motor, speed controller, battery, motor and speed controller connectors, and as Tony suggests, a set of Dubro micro push rod connects, plus adhesive and hinge tape.  There will be two sets of five photographs covering the two hour build to this point with approximately thirty minutes to completion. This airplane can be ready to fly in about three hours if you have all of the components needed.  I will ask Mike Grice to take a short video of the first flight at the next indoor session.

Online Wilf

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Leading Edge Hobbies "EDGY 16"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
Here is the second set of five photos showing the build. Enjoy. Tony and Rolly...GREAT JOB guys. Extremely great value.

Online Wilf

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Leading Edge Hobbies "EDGY 16" (finished)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »
Finished the Edgy 16 after soldering on the bullet connectors to the motor and speed controller and the mini JST connector for the battery. Total time for the first build was only two hours and twenty five minutes.  I think I can now do it in under two hours. The only jobs left are trimming the pushrods, and then David has to decorate it to suit himself. There has been questions about how the rudder servo is mounted, so I included a close-up of the servo installation.  Now back to the Fokker D-VIII.