Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: C of G - does your bird have one and where might it be?  (Read 1379 times)

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
C of G - does your bird have one and where might it be?
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »
I have a write-up on the subject of C of G which I will now post. As well, I will post a spreadsheet, in case someone else finds it useful. Feedback is most welcome, as I am always looking to improve.

Note: If you do not have Microsoft's Office components, i.e., Excel and Word, do not dispair! You need to get OpenOffice - and it is free. You just download it from http://www.openoffice.org/

If you wish to publish something, say, a technical article, and post it so that anyone will be able to read it, the best approach is to put it out as a .PDF file. You do not have to buy the full-fledged Adobe package to create such a document; you Export it as a .PDF from within OpenOffice.

If anyone is confused, or wants more information about this, just contact me and I will attempt to help you - or find someone better qualified to help us both!

My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: C of G - does your bird have one and where might it be?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
My previous write-up concerned how you find the C of G in practice, by doing some weighing, and/or estimating how a change in weight or position of some component may affect the C of G location. This is the easy stuff.

This link (which Rolly pointed out to me) delves into the area of determining the more complicated part - where you try to figure out where the C of G SHOULD be, given the geometry of the aircraft. I hope that someone out there takes the time to fiddle around with this, and will post back some of their results. (I am probably too lazy, although I really should "get around to it" sometime).
Anyway, enjoy this:

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

Flypaper 2

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »
This is the one I use for flying wings etc. Once you find the Mean Aerodynamic Chord, MAC, on flying wings, CG is usually 20 to 25%MAC  Normal plane configuration would be 25 to 30%

Gord.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:44:55 PM by Flypaper 2 »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:54:17 PM »
One thing about flying wings (or perhaps more properly termed tailless aircraft, at least if they have any vertical surfaces for control or stability) is that the C of G is typically more critical than with "conventional" aircraft. Depending upon the airfoil, the C of G may have to be well forward of the usual 25%  or 30% that we generally think of. For instance, the Desperado 60, like other Bill Evans Simitar series of models, calls for the C of G to be up at about 12% of mean chord!