Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Major Fun !  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Major Fun !
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »
Check out the video at this link (there is a YOUTUBE video in the first post):

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthr ... post790079

I flew at Cobble Hills (outside of London) a couple years ago, having met Ted Banks through his column in the MAC mag. I never saw a bunch of guys having so much fun! Every Sunday is COMBAT at the Cobble Hills Fighter Group's field. Some Coroplast, and/or foam, a .26-size engine and some raw courage and you are in the game. Surprisingly, mid-airs seem to be a rarity during normal Sundays, considering that the whole point of the exercise is the cut someone else's streamer as numerous pilots mill around in the fray. These guys have some serious grudges with the Humber Valley (west Toronto) and, I suppose, anyone else from anywhere that thinks they are up to r/c combat. That is the subject of this video. The Albatross's are the design of a Humber Hawks chap, the Fokker D.VII's and the SE5's are a Cobble Hills fellow's idea. Any others ... well, who knows? Then, there are the WW2 planes, a separate Combat class. The only difference, as far as rules go, is that WW2 planes have no landing gear and are hand launched, whereas the WW1 planes have gear and must take-off from the ground.

Some of their planes look pretty ratty. Those would be the ones to watch out for, methinks, as you are probably looking at a veteran of many fights and fights. Others look "real purty", all smooth and painted up like a "workin' girl" on a Saturday night. Such aircraft probably will lose some of their newness rather quickly, if they aren't careful.

And, if you think that their planes are "interesting", you would be really intrigued by the (manditory) flying helmets they wear out at the flight line. Very strange - the pilot wears a helmet of, to my view, rather dubious protective value while the (manditory) observer dude doesn't have to. Either this is to make sure that the observer keeps really sharp, or that he's just a nuisance of low value. By the way, contrary to what some think, this style of Combat is no more dangerous that any other flying we do and injuries are unheard of.

That old expression, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are NO old, bold pilots", comes to mind. Some of these guys are rather old and very bold and you wouldn't want to take them on in the air, for sure, so I think some of the Cobble Hills guys and their little friends from elsewhere have beaten the odds on that bit of wisdom!

Why aren't we doing this at KRCM?
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
Re: Major Fun !
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:39:03 PM »
Hey Deerslayer

I got one of these now.  Anytime you want to do some ribbon cutting let me know.  LOL

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=GPMA1470

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Major Fun !
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
Hey Deerslayer

I got one of these now.  Anytime you want to do some ribbon cutting let me know.  LOL

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=GPMA1470

Looks like it should be up for a good challenge. Perhaps my Bat Wing? I rarely leave home without it (or my little stash of crepe paper, just in case...).

My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others