Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: FUN CUB Build thread  (Read 11917 times)

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
FUN CUB Build thread
« on: June 25, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »
Since there are 33 of us putting these together, why not have a build thread- there must be info to trade.

I'll start it - What is everyone using to bond the wing tubes in place?  I bought Foam/Foam at LE, but I don't trust it, still soft after 24 hours. Hot glue too heavy? Epoxy and CA too brittle? Gorilla glue too messy? I saw a thread somewhere where the guy used "Liquid Nails" which he claims to be strong yet flexible, so I'll buy and try today.

And how about that elevator control horn, glued without a backing plate?

Reg

Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline Wilf

• KRCM Members
  • I've never met a plane I didn't like
    • View Profile
Re: FUN CUB Build thread
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:41 AM »
I just picked up my Fun Cub airframe today. The rest of the parts should be in on Friday, June 28. I am going to use med/thick CA for my build and see what happens. Where the foam meets foam or plastic pieces, I am going to punch a series of pin holes in the foam before installing any glue. This should create a number of small nail like projections made out of glue in the foam.  It works on balsa so it should work on foam as well.
I also picked up the modifies motor mount created by that laser cutting genius, Rolly. As you can see from the following photo, it is rather well designed and cut out. I'm not sure what the material is but it looks strong.  The supplied motors will bolt directly to the mount, and the mount will bolt directly into the nose of the fuselage.
As I progress, I will make further postings with photos, and hope others will as well.  After all, were in this build together.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:19:10 AM by Wilf »

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
Thanks, I'm experimenting right now with the glue, but I like your advice on pinholes. Wish I had known that before I started gluing bits together! That is the value of these build threads!
I got the motor mount too, it looks like fibreglass to me.
Thanks,
Reg
Churchill said: "Success is a series of failures during which one does not lose enthusiasm!"

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
Well, "No More nails" stuck well to the packing crate foam sample, but split easily off the unprepared surface inside the Fun Cub fuse.  I'll try it again with sanding and pinholes, otherwise back to medium CA.

Wilf, do you think it might help if we did a bulk email blast to all the club guys that bout the FC?
Reg

Offline J_Lee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
I know of a fun cub put together with 30 minute epoxy, although the manual states not to use epoxy, this one seems to be holding up well enough...shrug...

Jason

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
Yep, I'm using some too!
Reg

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
Flaps and Ailerons
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 06:18:20 AM »
I wrote up the attached item following a conversation with a Fun Cub buyer last night. This might be of interest to others, for this aircraft or for others.

I may get around to improving the write-up sometime, especially if there is some interest and/or others desire clarification.

Revision #1 occurred!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:41:27 AM by Deerslayer »
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:48:47 AM »
Thanks, Gary:
Note on my previous, the "Nails" glue is useless. Back to foam-safe CA.
Reg

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
  • Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
When I built my FunCub it was put together with nothing other then CA.

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »
Thanks

SDungey

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 05:52:33 PM »
Is anyone planning on setting up their Fun Cub with flaperons ? Mike daicar suggested to do this, has anyone else thought if that? And how would that work?

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Gary Droppo knows!

Offline J_Lee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 03:30:59 AM »
Is anyone planning on setting up their Fun Cub with flaperons ? Mike daicar suggested to do this, has anyone else thought if that? And how would that work?

This got me thinking (it really hurts)...why would one setup flaperons when the plane already has flaps available to it...so I did a search on different forums and the consensus seems to be if you have actual flaps, they're the way to go...

"It depends on the wing to some extent but; using flaperons can induce tip stall at low speeds. You would probably do best with seperate flaps."

Maybe I'm missing something as I never used flaperons before...but seeing these fun cubs land with full flaps down is pretty impressive, you can almost spot land them...

Jason

Offline Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 04:07:43 AM »
Check Reply #6 in this thread.

Also, note that the world's best STOL aircraft, the Twin Otter, used coupled flaperons. This also appeared on many high performance full scale sailplanes starting back in the 1960's.

Too many "experts" on the internet ... some of the peanut gallery out there also state that you need a football field to land a Telemaster, it cannot be flown in high winds, etc. Total Rubbish!

I have used dual aileron flaperon setups on many models for the past 20+ years and tip stalling has NEVER been an issue.
My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline ganguy

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 05:38:50 AM »
See? I told you he would know!

Still no power package from LE, so I'm going ahead with my fuse build, using fishwires so I can pull the servo leads through later.