Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: I Just Knew This Was Coming - STi Telemetry Interface by Spektrum  (Read 7814 times)

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
I had a feeling that this type of device was coming.  There is a price to pay having a Telemetry transmitter inside your Rx as in the way Hitec did it.  I like the idea of a separate module to do the transmitting independent of the receiver.  This device will let us do that if we want to.   This device picks up data from the Spektrum telemetry module and transmits the data to the interface that is plugged into an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch. 

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMTR1000

I have got to get one of these for my gliders:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMA9575
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:28:31 PM by cloudniner »

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
Re: I Just Knew This Was Coming - STi Telemetry Interface by Spektrum
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
That altimeter would go great with your glider Rick.  I'm waiting for them to come out with an audio one, as long as it's loud enough when your deaf in one ear and can't hear out if the other. ;D
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:44:22 PM »
Gord   

The neat thing about having this data available on an iPhone is that it can be programmed to talk to us.  It could read out the altitude, voltage, etc. rather than shake your transmitter.  I can see me having one of these in my shirt pocket with it letting me know my voltage/altitude by voice feedback.  As I have said before there is no way I am taking my eyes off of my high performance airplanes to check on something.

Offline Flypaper 2

• KRCM Members
  • We regret the chances we didn't take.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
Great , that's what I had in mind. All we need now is a Mach meter ;D
Gord
Hotglue, held together with foam.

Online J_Lee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:47:46 AM »
When it becomes available for a 'Droid, I'll take closer notice... :)

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
What's a Droid?

Online J_Lee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:49:10 AM »
What's a Droid?

Android phone, competitor to IPhone....It's outselling IPhones now....open-source, 80% of apps are free as opposed to IPhones...

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »
If this module is available for all of the following there must be many many millions of potential customers.  Which is probably why they chose the Apple route to start with.

Pod touch (4th generation)
iPod touch (3rd generation)
iPod touch (2nd generation)
iPod touch (1st generation)
iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 3G
iPhone
iPad
iPad2
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:47:07 PM by cloudniner »

Online Deerslayer

• Administrator
  • Fly hard, Learn stuff, Have fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 05:44:13 PM »
What you really want is not telemetry of altitude; rather, you want Rate of Change of altitude. Does the system give you this?

In full-size soaring, the critical item is a very sensitive rate of climb instrument. Glider Pilots call this the variometer. The best option is electronic. producing a tone of varying pitch. As you climb, the pitch shifts - the higher the rate of climb, the higher the pitch. Conversely, when sinking, a lower pitch is produced, moving lower in town as the rate of loss of altitude increases.

The important thing is the way in which the pilot becomes a part of the system. You are able to sense the most subtle changes in your rate of climb almost instantly! Along with the feel you develop for the motion of the sailplane, you start to visualize the body of air around you. I could go on ....     Having spent about 800 hours in sailplanes, mostly flying around in circles trying to fly "for free", I can tell you that it is pretty addictive.

My purpose in Life is to serve as a Warning to others

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 05:42:52 AM »
What's a Droid?

Android phone, competitor t
o IPhone....It's outselling IPhones now....open-source, 80% of apps are free as opposed to IPhones...

This is interesting from Steven Levy's new book, "In The Plex: How Google Thinks, Works, and Shapes Our Lives"

Sergey Brin and Larry Page were looking around for a new CEO their first choice was Jobs.

Jobs turned them down, but saw enough in Google to see that it could be a success; he offered to mentor the two founders, going so far as to provide them with access to his closest advisers. After Jobs declined the Google CEO position, Brin and Page chose Eric Schmidt as CEO and Schmidt also later joined Apple's board of directors. That's when things quickly took a turn for the worse.

As Levy states in the book, Jobs was "furious" when he visited Google's Mountain View headquarters and saw that the Android OS sported iOS features like pinch to zoom, among others. Shortly after that visit, Jobs told an Apple town hall meeting what he really thought of Google: "We did not enter the search business. They entered the phone business. Make no mistake: they want to kill the iPhone. We won't let them [...] This don't be evil mantra? It's bullshit."

The book also states that after Jobs found out about Android's similarities to iOS, he felt betrayed enough to somehow keep the development of the iPad hidden from Eric Schmidt while he was still a board member of Apple.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:59:29 AM by cloudniner »

Online J_Lee

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 06:20:13 AM »
Like I said, I don't want to turn this discussion into an iPhone vs Android thread...It's all personal preference...What iPhone does have going for it is a single interface for developers to work with.  It makes things nice and simple for them.  No doubt new technology does become available for Apple 1st because it's safe, software is made available to one place only therefore not allowing anyone to improve upon the original design. 
Whereas Android....well like I said, this isn't a -VS- thread...   ;)

J_Lee

Offline cloudniner

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »
Like I said, I don't want to turn this discussion into an iPhone vs Android thread...It's all personal preference...What iPhone does have going for it is a single interface for developers to work with.  It makes things nice and simple for them.  No doubt new technology does become available for Apple 1st because it's safe, software is made available to one place only therefore not allowing anyone to improve upon the original design. 
Whereas Android....well like I said, this isn't a -VS- thread...   ;)

J_Lee
J_Lee
I don't either, but I ran across this in the lastest TUAW site and thought it was funny that it came out just now.  Anyway enough from me about that subject....