Please login or register.

KRCM

Author Topic: Flywheel.  (Read 1823 times)

Flypaper 2

Flywheel.
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:55:37 PM »
Another of Gords wierd and wonderful planes(well maybe) There is a plane on another website called the Crazyball, Google it. In my book, in the videos it didn't fly very well, so here is my modified version  to make a performer out of the idea. It's two 20 in. discs perpendicular to one another. Needs much bigger control surfaces with lots of throw because of the slow speed characteristics. Pics tomorrow. This is just a break from rebuilding this electrified 1/3 rd scale foam Christen Eagle. Maybe I should do a bit on that one too. Wadya think?? ;D

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
  • Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee.....
    • View Profile
Re: Flywheel.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:11:39 AM »
When are we going to see some pics of the foam beast??

Offline faskend

• KRCM Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »
Another of Gords wierd and wonderful planes(well maybe) There is a plane on another website called the Crazyball, Google it. In my book, in the videos it didn't fly very well, so here is my modified version  to make a performer out of the idea. It's two 20 in. discs perpendicular to one another. Needs much bigger control surfaces with lots of throw because of the slow speed characteristics. Pics tomorrow. This is just a break from rebuilding this electrified 1/3 rd scale foam Christen Eagle. Maybe I should do a bit on that one too. Wadya think?? ;D
How about bringing it to the meeting tomorrow night.

Dave

Flypaper 2

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »
Here's the thread on the Crazyball to give you an idea what I'm jibbering about
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355738&pp=100
 There are no plans for it so I'm going by scratch. It's a work in progress so there's not much to show at a club meeting, Besides I'd like to get some interest/conversation/ ideas  going in this website. Some pics of the b\Bristol board patterns and some glued together pieces. Right off the bat I see there's not much strength where the doubler cross pieces go as it only covers the front and the motor is mounted at the back of the prop slot. So I'm goint to make a wider doubler to go across the back of the slot. First thing I did after I cut out the circle, was to find the CG to decide whether to mount the motor at the front or back of the slot. Preferably at the back, otherwise you'll have to put the motor wires around the outside of the slot. Preferable CG is 25 to 30% of the length of the wing/circle. I laid the doublers, motor assy, servos etc. on the disc and pick it up to see where it sits level. With all the goodies just behind the slot, it will make it to the 33% CG mark.
  Any comment would be welcome.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:29:12 PM by Flypaper 2 »

Offline shaggy

• Administrator
  • Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:12 AM »
Looks like it will be a blast to play with.
The plane I made with the motor in the centre was definatley a pain when running the motor wires around the slot.
Any time I had a hard "landing" the prop tended to cut the wire.

If you mount the motor at the back would it still run as a pusher?